Teenage Problems/troubled

Hi, i am a 17y.o boy that finds it difficult to associate himself with female friends. All the friends i have are boys and i move along freely with them. I am shy whenever i am in the presence of girls or talking with them. I become troubled whenever i see other boys socializing freely with their female friends. Plese help me to overcome this shyness in me and be more sociable with girls. Thank you.

Hi Issac,

The one thing you need is confidence and neither I nor anyone else can give you that. That's something you have to gain on your own. It's normal to be shy around girls because we can be intimidating at times; however, we won't bite, lol.

Here's something you can try. If your friends have girls that they talk to on a regular basis, have them introduce you to their female friends. It's a great way to introduce yourself and begin socializing with females. It may be hard to open up and start talking but if you want to have female friends then it's something you must do.

Eventually you may want a girlfriend so it's best that you start trying to get over your shyness now. Some girls like shy guys but most girls are used to guys approaching them. So, have your guy friends introduce you to their female friends to get you started. It's not hard to strike up a conversation because you can talk about almost anything, ie. school, movies, hobbies, things of that sort.

You can also try talking in the mirror. This way can help you gather your thoughts about what to say. Now of course the mirror and an actual girl are two different things and it will be tougher once you're in front of a girl, but just imagine you're talking to a buddy of yours. The only difference is that it won't be a guy, it'll be a girl.

You could practice on your mom, sister or aunt. You just have to build up the confidence to do it. The first time will be frightening for you but I promise that the more you do it, the more comfortable you'll feel because by this time you've gotten to know this female friend of yours and you'll feel more comfortable around her.

Don't worry about saying anything silly either. Just be yourself and you'll be fine. You have to take the first step though. I actually would like to know how you're doing with this too. If you don't mind, keep me posted on your progress. I'm here to help along the way :-)

Good Luck Isaac!

Teenage Problems

Scarlet Murdock

Even though I have no teenagers of my own, I've seen, heard and have experienced a lot of things dealing with teenagers. I take the experience of me being a teen along with the problems and issues teens have today and I offer my opinions and advice. Since I'm no longer in my teens, I'm wiser, which means that I can definitely guide you in the right direction when it comes to solving your problems.

Teen-Babble.com is a website that I am very proud to say that I am a part of. I created this site for teenagers all over. I wanted to give you a place where you could gain some knowledge, ask questions and see what your fellow teenagers can offer you. Teen-Babble is about sharing experiences, growing and becoming a better person. I am also part of my local Boys and Girls club where I hang out with teens about 3 times a day and help them with anything I can.

Boys and Girls Club

Western Michigan University