Teenage Problems/Maturity

Question
Hello,
I am a 16 year old in high school, specifically a junior, and I've always wanted the feeling of becoming more mature but my group of friends doesn't particularly allow this because of their maturity levels as well. so what are ways to become much more mature without changing the group of friends I have or as little as a lifestyle change as possible? if other suggestions are beyond this can you please put them too?

James

Answer
Hi James,

Thank you for writing to me.

There are a several ways in which you can show your levels of maturity without leaving your group of friends.  Think of some things that your particular group can do to help others, such as tutoring others in your age group or younger.  If you are good at math and another one in your group is good at English, you can tutor in math and they can tutor in English perhaps for an hour after school and then meet up to do other things.  You might suggest that your group cut lawns in an elderly area in your town on Saturday morning and meet up with your friends Saturday afternoon or evening.  Not only will you have silly things to discuss but you can compare how you are all doing in helping others, especially students that are having a difficult time in school.  Another good mature thing is to be a mentor to younger boys that need a big brother in their lives.  Just imagine, if you were a big brother/mentor to a younger boy how you could be helping them remain in school.  Also they would have someone to look up to and this is something that you and your group can do together.  You all can get together and shoot some hoops, go to the movies as a group or just hang out in the park for a Saturday.  The rewards of maturity for your group would definitely get noticed in a positive manner.

All this could be your idea. Just think, with all the negative thoughts that this generation have about teenagers, you and your group can change the minds of a lot of people as you all would be an example of the good behavior and help that older teenagers can give to younger youths.

Respectfully,
Dr. Lee  

Teenage Problems

Dr. Shirley M Lee