Teenage Problems/anger

Hi. My question isn't really a question. But here goes. My mum is always angry with me. She doesn't hurt me physically. She never would. But she hurts vocally. She shouts at me a lot. Things like you never play the piano, or you are horrible to your sister. I hate fighting with her because I love her. But im totally fed up with feeling rubbish and tiny. I enjoy her company when she's in a good mood but I hate being Goldsworthy her day in day out. I know this is nothing really, but I'm a very sensitive person and it gets to me every time. I cry myself too sleep a lot of nights. How can I stop being so upset by the stupidest things?

Hi Mary,

Thank you for writing to me.

As you stated,  you are a sensitive person. Verbal abuse can hurt just as bad and sometimes worse than physical abuse. Wait until your mother is in a good mood and you approach her and ask her if the two of you could talk together. Tell her how you feel and how her words hurt your feelings.  Ask her what you can do to change her perception of you.  Explain to her that what she says  hurts you and effects your ability to have a warm and affectionate life.  Tell her how it affects your thinking,  daily activities,  and most of all your sleep.

Sometimes people talk to other children and parents,  especially mothers, and we don't realize the impact that our words have.  We continue to verbally abuse because no one has informed us that our words were hurting.  Be strong enough to start the conversation on a happy note telling your mother how much you love and respect her as well as the way she sees you. Tell her that her opinions of you affects your life and how you see yourself.

Dr. Lee

Teenage Problems

Dr. Shirley M Lee

I can answer questions relating to youth that are on probation, arrested, has anger management issues, lack of impulse control, problems in school and substance abuse issues. Additionally, I can answer questions about youth with sex issues, domestic violence, child abuse, child sex abuse, as the abuser and the one that has been abused, parent abuse, physical, mental and psychological abuse. I answer questions about marriage and divorce. I can't answer questions about medication that has been ordered by a psychiatrist and it's side affects or should you stop taking it. I can answer the question as to what reason the medication was ordered.

I have been providing care, guidance, and social services for children, adolescents, and their families for 32plus years. I work with young people who struggle with behavioral problems and issues at home and school. I assist our youth in developing healthy living habits and motivate them to become productive citizens. In addition, I work with the parents and families to motivate and encourage strengthening the family. I have worked with families that have been homeless, in poverty, peer pressure, and bullying. I currently counsel with youth that are on probation for battery, domestic violence, petit and petite theft, substance substance abuse and sex offenders. I also speak with their teachers and go into the homes and schools. I am a mentor to all these children and their parents. When help is needed beyond my expertise I will suggest where to take the child to receive the proper services.

Published 6 books and were sold at the Christian Book Store for one year.

Ph.d in Sacred Religious Counseling; Ph.d in Counseling Psychology; MA in Public Administration; BA in Paralegal; Clinically Certified Domestic Violence Counselor; CFARS (CHILDREN'S FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT RATING SCALE); and for adults the FARS (FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT RATING SCALE. I am also a Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor.

Biblical Studies with highest Honors. Magna Cum laude.

In the past I worked for two different agencies as a Case Manager, a Therapist and a Counselor for the youth. I worked under the leadership of the two agencies as an independent contractor. 3 years ago I began working my own business, which has been in existence since 2002 in counseling. Presently I am working with youth that are on probation and is court ordered to take an anger management and/or impulse control class with me. I am also registered with the county to perform marriage counseling and weddings.