Teenage Problems/Trouble with Serious Matters. No Clue How to Express to Parents!

Question
Ashley- For quite some time now, it's been extremely difficult and almost unbearable to live in my house. Although I love my parents, and my only brother, I cannot help but feel that there is no self expression allowed unless pre-approved and there is no emotional expression, unless we are spouting off to one another. I am only 15. For quite some time now I have considered telling my parents that I would like to try living elsewhere- with a family member or close friend. I also would like to look for some alternatives to public high school, as it is hard for me to focus in school. I wish I could tell them how I feel about all this, but whenever I ask for something, or want to discuss something, I feel like they want no part in even taking consideration in the matter. I have not attempted to tell them about wanting to move out, or looking into school alternatives. I write, and I can't go through with delivering it. I try to talk about it, I choke just thinking about their response. PLEASE HELP ME.

Answer
Hi Erin, It sounds like you live in a loveless house or one where you are not free to express your emotions. This may have come from what kind of home your parents lived in when they were young. I suggest you look for a few youth church groups to join and if you are not now a church goer then you need to become one. You never need to go to church with someone. Its one of the few places where you are always welcome. You will find many committed Christians you can talk to and let them know how you are feeling and what your home life is like. You need to start reading the bible and I suggest getting a copy of The New American Standard version. it is the most literal translation of all of the bible versions. Start with reading the Gospel of John. Then look in the book of First Corinthians, Chapter 13. Chapter 13 is the greatest words ever written about "Love" that you will ever read.  As far as church denominations goes, there are far too many. The Roman Catholic has been around since the beginning and has probably got most of it right. Many protestant denominations do not give reverence to Mary as the Blessed Mother but if you do some studying you will learn of what happened at Fatima, Portugal in the two years of 1916 and 1917. Three illiterate shepherd children were visited by an angel and the following year by the Blessed Mother. The complete story is available in a free paper booklet from The Fatima Center, at www.fatima.org. If you email them they will send you a copy free at info@fatima.org.  The title is "The True Story of Fatima".  Its difficult to not believe what happened there in 1917. You sound like you are looking for a family that is loving and supportive and where you feel cared about and loved. You may have to find it in some youth church groups and youth prayer groups.  You could try to tell your parents and your brother that you love them and that you want them to love you and see what result you get. You can also ask them if they would like you to do something around the home with them. I hope this gives you a few ideas. If not then feel free to ask a follow up question,  

Teenage Problems

Jonathan