Teenage Problems/mom and friend

Hi, I m an 18 year old guy. Yesterday I asked my friend Jeremy (also 18) to sleep over my house for the whole weekend. Around 10 my mom and her best friend were sitting at the kitchen counter drinking some wine when Jeremy came over. This was the first time he was meeting my mom and her friend so he introduced himself and chatted with them while I brought his stuff downstairs to my room. Jeremy came down and we started playing Call of Duty when I said I was going to go upstairs and make us some popcorn. When I got to the top of the stairs I heard my momís friend mention my name so I stopped to eavesdrop and overheard them talking about Jeremy; my moms friend called him hot and made a joke about how my mom should invite him over when Iím not around. I heard my mom chuckle and heard her say ďhe was cuteĒ
I was so freaked out. Iím sure they were just tipsy and joking but my mom is single and attractive and this just really creeped me out. Am I reading too much into this? Or should I be worried since my friend will be with us all weekend and may be alone with my mom?

Hi Nick,

It's possible that your mom was a bit tipsy from the wine. However, I don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to your mom. I think she was just commenting because your mom's friend had said something first. If the friend would've never said anything, I don't think your mom would have either. I don't think there's anything wrong with your mom commenting on Jeremy's looks. She is your mom and a lot older than him, but your mom isn't dead. If the guy is cute, then he's cute. I've been out of my teen years for quite some time now and if an 18 year old guy passed me, I would say he's cute too if he was.

On the other hand, since we can't read minds, if you're really bothered by this then you could just tell your mom what you heard and ask her if she really meant anything behind it. She might just say that she said it because she was tipsy or she might even deny saying it. Just say you were on your way up stairs and overheard her say that to her friend. But if you don't want to then that's okay too. I think it was harmless and a little girl talk that you weren't necessarily supposed to hear. I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as your mom goes. Now her friend may be a different story.

Teenage Problems

Scarlet Murdock

Even though I have no teenagers of my own, I've seen, heard and have experienced a lot of things dealing with teenagers. I take the experience of me being a teen along with the problems and issues teens have today and I offer my opinions and advice. Since I'm no longer in my teens, I'm wiser, which means that I can definitely guide you in the right direction when it comes to solving your problems.

Experience is a website that I am very proud to say that I am a part of. I created this site for teenagers all over. I wanted to give you a place where you could gain some knowledge, ask questions and see what your fellow teenagers can offer you. Teen-Babble is about sharing experiences, growing and becoming a better person. I am also part of my local Boys and Girls club where I hang out with teens about 3 times a day and help them with anything I can.

Boys and Girls Club

Western Michigan University