Teenage Problems/Why would a teenage girl

Why would a teenage girl get several permanent tattoos on her body, but her mother still has a better relationship with her daughter than most mothers have with there daughter?

Hi hjsyj6qo10653sq,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me and I hope that I can help.

Our relationship with our parents is determined by their relationship with their parents and the experience that they had when they were growing up. Some parents who had strict upbringings become strict parents; others in the same situation go completely the opposite way and offer a less than strict approach. The relationship that we have depends upon their own relationship with their own parents and the experience that they have with their children when they are growing up. Another part of the development of this relationship is around what parents consider to be acceptable in today's society.

Tattoos are a way of expressing our own individuality and some people have different views in whether or not they are a beautiful work of art or a hideous monstrosity that scars your body forever; either way, tattoos should not be taken unlikely. Tattoos are just superficial though and just because a person has tattoos it does not mean that they are a bad person or that they are going to cause problems and maybe this is something that her mam appreciates. This girl's mam may have a liberal attitude to her daughter's attitude because she has tatoos herself or maybe, they have some agreement about what is and is not acceptable behaviour; either way, their relationship, as long as it is positive is a good one.

Each set of parents are responsible for developing their own unique and positive relationship with their children and it is up to them to make sure that this relationship remains positive. Not every parent will have the same relationship with their children as each other but as long as it is positive then there is no reason to be concerned.

I hope that this helps.

Teenage Problems

Daryl Taylor, BSc (Hons) Psychology, PGDip (pending certification)

My expertise covers everything and anything to do with growing up, being a teenager or a young adult or being the parent of one of the pre-described. I can cover issues on identity, sexuality, love, relationships, families, drug/alcohol abuse and anything and everything in between.

I have volunteered for for over ten years now, but even before that I was trying to use my experience to help others by working with, and even Lycos and Ask Jeeves. My experience comes from being a teenager primarily but this lead me to work with young people from the age of 13. I have worked front line, face to face and over the telephone, e-mail and webchat for a government department called Connexions UK (aimed at young people aged 13-19); as well as being student counselor in New York, a Peer Mentor, a student teacher and working for my school, college and University to help raise the aspirations of young people. My life has not been easy and I have been through my fair share of issues; so there is little that I haven't been through in reality opposed to just reading it from a book or from my academic studies. I have been featured as a case study as achieving through adversity for a number of magazines and I have featured in a couple of books on both sides of the Atlantic; even though I am UK based.

The Albert Kennedy Trust

Relationships: Cathy Senker, 2012, Raintree The Dean and Chapter Positive Nation GTEN Television Aim Higher

BSc(Hons) Psychology Post Graduate Diploma in Multidisciplinary Design Innovation Basic Counselling Skills Effective Listening Skills Mental Health First Aid

Outstanding Student achievement Adult learner's Award

Past/Present Clients Connexions Direct