Teenage Problems/Why would a teenage girl

Why would a teenage girl get pregnant less than 30 days after her 16 birthdays because a 40-year-old man wants a child? She made sure that this was legal under UK law, because the 40-year-old man had a lawyer explain the law to her. The 16 year old girl tells her mother that she wants to give custody of her newborn daughter to the father, because he would be a very good father, and lets her see her child any time she wants to.

Hi hjsyj6qo10653sq,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me and I hope that I can help.

In regards to your question, I cannot begin to think about what this girl may be thinking about or why she would put herself in a situation where she would get pregnant at such a young age; the only thing I can think of is that she thinks that she loves this guy and that by giving him a baby that he wants, it may make him love her back. However, this narrow view of thinking that once he has a baby she and he will live some kind of happy life is quite naive. Having a baby when at 16 can not only cause serious complications and health problems to the mother but also have long lasting psychological and emotional problems. Getting a baby, carrying it to term and then almost handing it over is not easy and not a decision that should ever be taken likely. I think that this girl is going to live to regret her decision and the choices that she has made at her age and when she gets older and looks back at what she hoped to achieve by doing it, she will realise what a mistake she has made and what a life altering decision she has made. She may have potentially ruined not only her own life but this of her new baby, regardless of how good a father this guy may be.

In terms of the legality of it, in the UK the age of sexual consent is 16 but depending upon the circumstances surrounding how this guy and girl ended up meeting and then having sex, there could potentially be legal implications if this guy is known to have had prolonged contact with this girl prior to her being 16 as it could be considered as 'grooming'. This term applies to any person who has prolonged contact with anyone under the age of 18 with the intention of encouraging them to have sex with them or encouraging them to perform explicit sex acts. I am not, however, a legal expert and nor have I had any significant legal training but if this has happened in the UK then there could potentially be a case for both Social Services to get involved for the welfare of this young girl, as well as her baby and potentially, there could be an investigation into whether or not this girl was groomed or not and whether or not she fully appreciates the decision that she has made.

To go back to your original question, why? I think that there has been a lot of naivity, a little bit of stupidity and potential some cohersion from this guy. All of these things are not positive and this girl may live to regret the decision that she has made. A baby does not just go away.  

Teenage Problems

Daryl Taylor, BSc (Hons) Psychology, PGDip (pending certification)

My expertise covers everything and anything to do with growing up, being a teenager or a young adult or being the parent of one of the pre-described. I can cover issues on identity, sexuality, love, relationships, families, drug/alcohol abuse and anything and everything in between.

I have volunteered for for over ten years now, but even before that I was trying to use my experience to help others by working with, and even Lycos and Ask Jeeves. My experience comes from being a teenager primarily but this lead me to work with young people from the age of 13. I have worked front line, face to face and over the telephone, e-mail and webchat for a government department called Connexions UK (aimed at young people aged 13-19); as well as being student counselor in New York, a Peer Mentor, a student teacher and working for my school, college and University to help raise the aspirations of young people. My life has not been easy and I have been through my fair share of issues; so there is little that I haven't been through in reality opposed to just reading it from a book or from my academic studies. I have been featured as a case study as achieving through adversity for a number of magazines and I have featured in a couple of books on both sides of the Atlantic; even though I am UK based.

The Albert Kennedy Trust

Relationships: Cathy Senker, 2012, Raintree The Dean and Chapter Positive Nation GTEN Television Aim Higher

BSc(Hons) Psychology Post Graduate Diploma in Multidisciplinary Design Innovation Basic Counselling Skills Effective Listening Skills Mental Health First Aid

Outstanding Student achievement Adult learner's Award

Past/Present Clients Connexions Direct