Teenage Problems/Blushing panic attacks

Question
Hi. I have gained a problem with blushing in the last few weeks. As soon as a teacher asks me a question, my whole face turns red and my arms start to sweat. When I get asked a question in class I can feel my body temperature rising and I cannot stop thinking about turning red. My heart rate increases greatly and I feel as if I'm about to burst into tears at any second. Sometimes everything looks like it's pulsing and it feels like a panic attack. It even happened today in class when my friend made a joke about me. I'm not an ugly person and i have no problem with getting girls. I'm intelligent and good at sport but this blushing thing is making me not want to go to school. I feel that if I can't go to school I have nothing to look forward to, like college and a good career. I am really depressed because of this. Please how can I help myself to stop having these blushing panic attacks. It's happens to me at least once a day.

Answer
Hi Patrick,

The easy way is to get put on an anti-anxiety drug but they can be habit forming and do nothing to get at the real issue. So I do not recommend them.  Your body temperatire is not really rising but your anger may be. I have felt like I had a fever once and I was red in my face and I even took my temperature with a mercury thermometer I kept in my desk. I was surprised to see that my temperature was normal. So what was making me feel like I could not control my temperature? Why did I feel I had a fever? I was angry about something and when I thought about it I was able to identify it and deal with it. There may be something in your past that had happened to which you felt extremely embarrassed and by being called on by an authority figure like a teacher it brings up these old feelings of panic where you feel flushed and your heart may feel like its going to burst out of your chest. Rather than get into any kind of medication (which will only mask the condition) I suggest you look into trying meditation and listening to some cd's using headphones that completely cover your ears. I have many sets of headphones that completely cover the ears. My best set is by "Sennheiser HD 280 PRO, 64 OHMS impedance. They are around $100 but well worth it. As they do not need to be turned up high when trying to relax. The lower the volume the better. You can keep them on for hours without any discomfort. The CD's I recommend are not always easy to find. A company named "ENVIRONMENTS" made vinyl records years ago of a brook of running water, rain in a pine forest, a sailboat skimming across the water, sounds of a thunderstorm, crickets and other insects at night in a field. You may be lulled to sleep but maybe you need sleep. At your age you need around 9 and 1/2 hours of sleep a night. Check around for cd's like I mentioned. The best ones do not have any music recorded in the background. They only have the sounds of nature. If this does not help. then you may need to see a doctor who specializes in panic disorder. One type of medication used for panic disorder is a beta-blocker which slows down the heartbeat. singers and people who have to do a lot of public speaking often use this type of prescription drug. Even after years of appearing onstage, actors and singers are still troubled by stage fright. If you are not now a church goer then you need to become one. In the catholic church many people pray the rosary since it is a simple meditative prayer. People pray it silently or out loud ,often with others. If you do not have a prayer life then consider working on that. You need to go to school. Staying away from school is not a solution.  As for listening to cd's of nature sounds do so on a regular basis. Like when you get home from school, put a cd on and then the headphones and just let it play and lie on your bed, eyes closed and it will help to relax you.  

Teenage Problems

Jonathan