Teenage Problems/Fear of trying new things

Question
Hello

I am afraid of trying a new job because I am afraid I will fail at that  job or someone will tell me I am not doing my job properly.  All I know about is being a store clerk.  I think it would be nice to have new job skills so I will become a more versatile worker and my resume will look better.  This new job requires working in a restaurant in the kitchen.

How do I get over the fear of trying new things as I am afraid someone will tell me I am not doing my job properly or will be a failure at this new job?

One of my co workers was so nice but some other workers complained about his work often  and he was not happy there and is gone.  Where he worked before was a fast food restaurant and his boss was sorry to see him leave and said he is welcome back anytime.
Maybe you feel someone should always give a new job a chance, maybe at least a couple of weeks to see how it goes.  One lady told me I will sometimes have a bad day and not to quit over that.
Thank you!

Answer
Hi Jeff,

I certainly know the fear of trying new things. The thing is, you can't let it stop you. You have to think positive. That's the key. Assure yourself that everything will be fine. All you can do is give it your all and do the best possible job that you can do. Everyone is not great at everything. However, you won't find what you're good at unless you try.

It can be rough stepping into new things. If anyone hates change it's me. However, if nothing changed, then I wouldn't change and sometimes it's for the better. If someone tells you you're not doing your job properly, don't take it in a negative way. Take it as constructive criticism. If someone says you're not doing your job properly, ask them the right way to do it and how you can do better at it.

You can't base what your experiences will be off of someone else's. Maybe that job wasn't for your co-worker. Maybe he wanted something different. You'll never learn, grow or gain important skills if you don't move forward. Just be positive. Tell yourself that you're going to go into the new job with an open mind and lots of positivity. You'll be fine Jeff. You just have to get over this stump and thinking positive will work. Good luck!  

Teenage Problems

Scarlet Murdock