Teenage Problems/How do I get my parents to trust me?

Somebody hacked my GitHub account and put a website that contains personal attacks and cyberbullying on it. I got it taken down, and avoided trouble at school, but the principal still thought it was me and called my parents. Now I am in trouble with my parents for something I didn't do, even though all the evidence points to me. How do I convince them that I didn't do this?

I am 13, in 7th grade. I am male. Thank you!

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me and I hope I can help.

Cyber hacking has been on the increase over the last couple of years as more and more people do more online. Big businesses who spend millions protecting their systems and even Mark Zuckerberg (founder of Facebook) have found themselves at the centre of cyber attacks highlighting how important it is to make sure we stay safe and secure when we are online. But even everyday people from across the World run the risk of having their social media, personal emails and bank accounts hacked if they are not careful.  If you have not done so already, change your password to something people cannot guess and use numbers and special characters to make it even harder to crack.

If someone has hacked your account then there must be a way of proving it wasn't you, even if this means contacting GitHub themselves to ask for information such as when your account has been accessed and where from, if they will share that information with you. If you can find this out, you can prove it wasn't you either because you were somewhere else or at school/in bed when it happened. You may also want to consider who would want to hack your account and what they hoped to achieve by doing it. Hopefully, it is not someone you know but if it is, you will find out about it and need to report it to your parents and your principal.

Mistrust sometimes comes from lack of understanding and if your parents don't know what GitHub is or how it works, they are likely to think that it is something negative that you should not be using. What I would recommend you do is offer to show your mom and dad how it works and anything you have been working on so they can see what you are actually doing on it so they can see how innocent it is and what kind of things other people are doing on it. By showing them, you take aware their lack of awareness about it and are likely to reduce their suspicion about you using it.

Another thing you can do to build your parents' trust again is to let them voluntarily look at your Internet history and what you do online. Chances are that they will not want to know but if you are willing to show them, you are again proving it was unlikely to be you who posted those things on the website.

Trust is rebuilt over time and takes some work. Think about doing what we have discussed and hopefully, things should return to normal.

Good luck.

Teenage Problems

Daryl Taylor, BSc (Hons) Psychology, PGDip (pending certification)

My expertise covers everything and anything to do with growing up, being a teenager or a young adult or being the parent of one of the pre-described. I can cover issues on identity, sexuality, love, relationships, families, drug/alcohol abuse and anything and everything in between.

I have volunteered for for over ten years now, but even before that I was trying to use my experience to help others by working with, and even Lycos and Ask Jeeves. My experience comes from being a teenager primarily but this lead me to work with young people from the age of 13. I have worked front line, face to face and over the telephone, e-mail and webchat for a government department called Connexions UK (aimed at young people aged 13-19); as well as being student counselor in New York, a Peer Mentor, a student teacher and working for my school, college and University to help raise the aspirations of young people. My life has not been easy and I have been through my fair share of issues; so there is little that I haven't been through in reality opposed to just reading it from a book or from my academic studies. I have been featured as a case study as achieving through adversity for a number of magazines and I have featured in a couple of books on both sides of the Atlantic; even though I am UK based.

The Albert Kennedy Trust

Relationships: Cathy Senker, 2012, Raintree The Dean and Chapter Positive Nation GTEN Television Aim Higher

BSc(Hons) Psychology Post Graduate Diploma in Multidisciplinary Design Innovation Basic Counselling Skills Effective Listening Skills Mental Health First Aid

Outstanding Student achievement Adult learner's Award

Past/Present Clients Connexions Direct