Teenage Problems/Question on rod of correction

My pants
My pants  
QUESTION: Hello Pastor Don,

My aunt was telling me that it's a sin for me to wear the pants I had on and that I should receive the rod of correction for it. Is it really a sin to wear them? Here's a pic of me wearing them. Also, what is the rod of correction? When my aunt said that to me she was pointing at my bottom. Thanks and I hope to hear from you.

ANSWER: Hi Michelle,

Thank you for this honest question.  I am not familiar with your family structure.  Is your aunt your guardian?  Does your mom / dad/ recognize her as an authority in your life?  If that is so, than what I think is irrelevant, although I happen to agree with her.  If an authority figure in your life has said that something is wrong for you to wear, then for you, it is wrong to wear it, because they are God's authority over you.

“Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.” (Hebrews 13:17, KJV 1900)
Now if your aunt is not directly over you, then it is up to your parents.  If they say no, it is still no... no matter what you think... they are over you.

Now let us consider the matter as if you had the green light from them, now you need to determine if God would want you to wear that.  The Bible says that women should dress modestly which means in loose fitting apparel.  Anything that draws attention to you sexually is not what God wants.

“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel...” (1 Timothy 2:9, KJV 1900)

You should not be calling attention to yourself sexually by wearing pants that are skin tight and form fitting.... but it is not just about you.  You need to consider that you are potentially hurting any guys that are trying to keep their own minds pure.  Remember that Jesus said that to think about a woman sexually is also a sin.

“Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.” (Matthew 5:27–30, KJV 1900)

Job said he made a promise to his eyes not to look on a woman to lust after her.

“I made a covenant with mine eyes; Why then should I think upon a maid?” (Job 31:1, KJV 1900)

Now if that is true... then you could be stumbling some men who actually are trying to control their thought life.

“But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.” (1 Corinthians 8:12, KJV 1900)

I hope that this helps you with your question.

In Christ
Pastor Don

QUESTION: Hello Pastor Don,

My aunt is my guardian. Both of my parents were killed by a drunk driver last year. What is the rod of correction? When my aunt said that to me she was pointing at my bottom.

Thank you for this follow up.  I would think that the term is self explanitory... she is speaking of corporal punishment... spanking

“Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; But the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.” (Proverbs 22:15, KJV 1900)

I hope that this clears things up.  Remember... if you simply comply to her rules there is no need for the rod of correction.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Teenage Problems

Pastor Don Carpenter

I am a father of four and a Baptist Pastor. Before becoming a senior pastor, I was a youth pastor and worker for over 10 years. If you ask this volunteer a question, you will get the benifit of 20 + years experience in the ministry and the counsel of the Bible, God`s perfect book. Feel free to ask any Biblical or moral questions.

I have been involved in pastoral type counseling for 20+ years. Most of my experience has been with chemical addiction, crisis intervention, and some types of severe mental illness. I have some secular training in those areas as well as a Bible College degree.

Evangelical Baptist Church

Revival Baptist Chronicles
The Fundamental Baptist Voice

BS in Bible from Baptist Bible College in CLarks Summit PA
Various training seminars in, Co-occuring disorders, treatment of those who have been sexually abused, and Solution Focused Therapy.