Teenage Problems/Is it wrong to read books with mature content?

Hello, I am 17 and once in a while, I read books that might have mature content. I feel scared now, because I feel aroused after reading such material. Should I stop completely or reduce the amount I read?Have I committed a crime(I am not christian)
Thank you.

Hi Kamisama,

Thank you for writing to me.  You stated that once in a while, you read books that might have a mature content.  I do not see anything wrong with that at 17 years of age.  If you read a good murder mystery and you felt anxious, would you stop reading that type of book?  If you read a book about suicide, would you feel like committing suicide?  A lot of books will have some sort of mature content in it.  You have not committed a crime and it has nothing to do with you being a Christian.  

You did not state that your read this type of book OFTEN in order to get aroused. If that was the case, I would probably have a different response.  Whatever you are reading, keep reading.  Reading is very good for your intellect. If you are having a problem within yourself, just change what you are reading.

Dr. Lee  

Teenage Problems

Dr. Shirley M Lee

I can answer questions relating to youth that are on probation, arrested, has anger management issues, lack of impulse control, problems in school and substance abuse issues. Additionally, I can answer questions about youth with sex issues, domestic violence, child abuse, child sex abuse, as the abuser and the one that has been abused, parent abuse, physical, mental and psychological abuse. I answer questions about marriage and divorce. I can't answer questions about medication that has been ordered by a psychiatrist and it's side affects or should you stop taking it. I can answer the question as to what reason the medication was ordered.

I have been providing care, guidance, and social services for children, adolescents, and their families for 32plus years. I work with young people who struggle with behavioral problems and issues at home and school. I assist our youth in developing healthy living habits and motivate them to become productive citizens. In addition, I work with the parents and families to motivate and encourage strengthening the family. I have worked with families that have been homeless, in poverty, peer pressure, and bullying. I currently counsel with youth that are on probation for battery, domestic violence, petit and petite theft, substance substance abuse and sex offenders. I also speak with their teachers and go into the homes and schools. I am a mentor to all these children and their parents. When help is needed beyond my expertise I will suggest where to take the child to receive the proper services.

Published 6 books and were sold at the Christian Book Store for one year.

Ph.d in Sacred Religious Counseling; Ph.d in Counseling Psychology; MA in Public Administration; BA in Paralegal; Clinically Certified Domestic Violence Counselor; CFARS (CHILDREN'S FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT RATING SCALE); and for adults the FARS (FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT RATING SCALE. I am also a Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor.

Biblical Studies with highest Honors. Magna Cum laude.

In the past I worked for two different agencies as a Case Manager, a Therapist and a Counselor for the youth. I worked under the leadership of the two agencies as an independent contractor. 3 years ago I began working my own business, which has been in existence since 2002 in counseling. Presently I am working with youth that are on probation and is court ordered to take an anger management and/or impulse control class with me. I am also registered with the county to perform marriage counseling and weddings.