Telecommuting/Job search

Question
QUESTION: Leslie, I am a 58 yr old male. I lost my job as a scheduler for a transportation company in 2010. I decided to live off my severance & retirement so my wife could get a degree and also to help with my mother who has Alzheimer's. I suffered cardiac arrest in 2013. Ever since, I have had a problem with extreme anxiety, which is greatly exacerbated when I am around people - to the point that my blood pressure rises, almost to the point of fibrillation. I have an above average IQ, but have no education beyond high school. I am in desperate need of an income, but anxiety and pathological shyness get in the way. I would appreciate some tips on work at home jobs. Nothing I'm finding online looks legitimate. Thanks for your time.

ANSWER: Hi Ed,
I'm sorry to hear about your illness and anxiety.

Working at home is a great way to find flexible income options. Most people who have difficulty finding legitimate jobs, look for the wrong types of work in the wrong places. The important thing to remember about work-at-home jobs is that they're like other jobs; you need skills and experience to get them. And just like in a traditional job search, you need to start with the skills you have to offer and look for employers that need those skills.

I suggest making a list of skills from work, volunteer and hobbies, and then search job sites for work-at-home options that need the skills you can offer. If you're looking for employment, avoid any "jobs" that ask for money or want you to use your personal bank account to help it do business.

I post jobs regularly on my website plus articles related to work-at-home jobs here: http://www.workathomesuccess.com/at-home-jobs/ Check out the scam alert section too to avoid getting in trouble with scams. http://www.workathomesuccess.com/avoid-scams/

Good luck.

Leslie Truex
http://www.workathomesuccess.com

QUESTION: I appreciate your response. I do have a followup question that in no way is intended as facetious. Your website provides a link to FlexJobs & HomeJobStop, both of which require fees. Are these merely paid advertisements or have they been vetted to some extent? I don't have a problem paying a little for good valid leads. Thanks again for your help and time.

Answer
Hi Ed,
You're right in questioning work-at-home resources. I check both HomeJobStop and FlexJobs on a regular basis to insure they're providing quality work-at-home jobs. HomeJobStop is the least expensive, but it also not as robust nor updated as often. FlexJobs not only offers jobs, but many resources to help you with the job search.

Before investing in any telecommuting database though, I always want to make sure people understand what they'll find there. As I mentioned, work-at-home jobs are much like traditional jobs. So you won't find programs where you simply sign-up for work. Instead you'll find screened jobs that you'll need to submit a resume to and go through a hiring process.

I hope that helps.

Leslie Truex

Telecommuting

Leslie Truex