Telephony--Clecs, Long Distance/Port Number CenturyLink to Comcast

Hi Fred,

About two months ago, I switched from a Dish Network/CenturyLink bundle to a Comcast bundle.  Comcast messed up and did not port my old phone number properly, and now says that CenturyLink needs to "reactivate" my phone number.  CenturyLink says they cannot reactivate my phone number without me having all of the equipment reinstalled.  Is this true?

Your telephone number is associated with your telephone service, not with the equipment you use on the line.  There might be equipment in the telephone company central office that must be installed to reactivate your number, of that I'm not entirely certain.  I suggest you file a complaint with the FCC, give them all the details, then let the FCC work it out with the two companies:

Be sure and select "Number portability" under "Phone Issues".  Good luck and let me know how it turns out.  

Telephony--Clecs, Long Distance

Fred Goodwin

My telephony expertise is in the regulatory / policy area. If you have questions about federal or state regulations, I might be able to help you.

I am not an engineer or installer, so I can't answer technical questions about networking, cell phones, VOIP etc.

I have over 30 years of experience in telecommunications, most of it with a major telephone company.

During that time, I've been a telco engineer (1979-83), auditor (1983-89), rates & tariff analyst (1989-96), R&D manager (1996-00), federal regulatory analyst (2000-02), state tariff and regulatory analyst (2003-08), and a telecommunications consultant (2009-10).

I am currently a policy analyst for a state public utility commission.

IEEE (since 1980)
ICMA (since 1992)

Associates in Accounting
BS in Physics
MBA in Telecommunications

I am a Certified Management Accountant (since 1992).