Television Trivia/cobby whats your hobby?

Tony Mokolo wrote at 2008-12-30 01:36:03
I work with a chimp at SF zoo with the name Cobby and we were told that he was in a show called Cobbys  

Hobbies, so i would be very interested to see or get  some of the footage? he is 52 now so early 60's would be about right for him to be in this show.

David wrote at 2009-01-06 06:13:17
I can remember 'Cobby what's your hobby?' being screened here on early morning children's TV in Adelaide, Australia, when I was growing up. This would have been in the very early 1970s and the show would pre-date that by quite a few years I would think.

Only one person I know remembers it so we are obviously a very small band of chimp fans...

I look forward to hearing more about the show.

Lesley wrote at 2009-02-26 04:11:32
I too am from Adelaide Aust and I am the only person at work who remembers it (showing my age!)I used to love that show - we all used to say "Oh Cobby Darling" too.

Unclejed wrote at 2009-05-25 06:31:26
Cobby and Cobina definitely existed, me too from Adelaide Australia remember Cobby What's Your Hobby showing around mid sixties. I can't recall much more than it was a fun 5 minute show that ran between programs. You may find someone in the archives at American ABC as they later produced the Lancelot Link series which may be connected to Cobby as there are similarities.

Rick Prelinger wrote at 2009-06-02 23:25:33
I believe Cobby's Hobbies was either produced by Calvin Productions (Kansas City, Missouri) or went through their film lab.  While going through their unclaimed materials, I found hundreds of cans relating to this show; I don't know whether they were outtakes or edited programs.  The material is no longer in our collection but has gone to the Library of Congress, where as of mid-2009 it's still in dead storage and inaccessible.  I don't imagine it will be available for quite a number of years, as it is part of a low-priority collection. I wouldn't bother the Library for awhile.

Rick Prelinger

Prelinger Archives, San Francisco

Andi wrote at 2009-07-09 23:21:21
Looks like it never made it out of Adelaide. My boyfriend set this question off and he'll be pleased to hear he didn't imagine it!

dave wrote at 2009-08-01 01:24:41
It was definitely a real show.  I've had the phrase "Cobby what's your hobby today" stuck in my mind since I was a kid.  What torture! It might be similar to the show Lancelot Link, which also had chimps.

Bob Loblaw wrote at 2009-08-12 02:16:14
Definitely on Adelaide TV mid sixties. Chimps in clothes doing random stuff. Cobina was a little louche and wore a curly wig if memory serves.

Oh Cobby Darling!

Mark wrote at 2009-08-19 06:40:52
This is so bizarre!  I was only humming the tune to the series (as well as that of "Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp") to myself the other day!  Yes, I too am from Adelaide, I remember the show very well, and I'd lay money on your chimp being the selfsame beloved simian of yesteryear.  The chimp, 'Cobby', undertook a 'hobby' (or trade) each episode - usually ending in a sprawling mess all over the place. It was sort of funny when I was 9.  It think it might be horrendously politicaly incorrect these days. It's successor show, Lancelot Chimp, Secret Chimp had a higher budget and a somewhat more complex storyline. Did this material ever make it out of San Francisco and Adelaide? Who knows... but buy me a beer one day and I'll happily (drunkenly?) hum you the tune - and even a few of the words - to the theme songs from both shows.

Sign of a mis-sent childhood, I think!  Cheers!

Divine Simeon wrote at 2009-08-24 22:29:21
Cobby lives! Or so it would seeem. This site has much on him and his woman...

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Television-Trivia-2104/2008/11/f/cobby-whats-hobby.ht

I vividly remember the show. I saw it in the 1960s on WBAY-TV channel 2 in Green Bay, WI. USA. It was a syndicated show. There was another similar show with a human-like chimp called Chatter. The theme sang 'Chatter, what's the matter with you?"

Divine Simeon wrote at 2009-08-24 22:36:31
Chatter - a group of shorts with monkeys, starring Chatter. The theme song started something like this: "Chatter doesn't know that he's a pest; Chatter's only trying to do his best...Chatter, what's the matter with you?"

divine simeon wrote at 2009-08-24 22:48:22
This link to a newspaper article about Cobby was still active on 8/24/09...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/03/21/MN141860.DTL&hw=CANA

Eric Schwartz wrote at 2010-09-14 11:50:19
I had fond memories of watching Chatter when very young but couldnt find information on this tv program anywhere. When i described it to family and friends over the years they joked with me about it being a figment of my imagination. Oh yeah, whos your daddy!!!! I remember Chatter being pronounced as Chatta and repeated three times "Chatta, Chatta, Chatta whats the matta with you. Would love to find a clip of this or the show itself. Anyone know how? Thanks for this post.

Eric Schwartz

Miami Shores Florida

cobby wrote at 2011-04-01 06:56:47
Greetings from an Adelaide, South Australia, resident whose knickname was Cobby. I was dubbed this by classmates in early high school (circa 1968)and I subsequently inaugurated what was called the 'Cobby plate', a piece of wood on which I would launch the latest saying or fad (much to the annoyance of all). In early adulthood the name was used as part of my stage name for solo singer-songwriter performances (Ian 'Cobby' Coats), and even to this day the occasional person from that period of my life spontaneously calls me by this unusual name (mostly with apparent affection rather than disdain). So, there you are. Cobby's hobbies had an impact on at least one life.

Yours in divergent hobbies and rich appreciation of the Cobinas in the world,

Ian 'Cobby' Coats 1 April 2011  

FreddyVana wrote at 2011-09-22 02:39:28
The song - maybe not exact but what's in my brain is:

"Cobby finds hobbies lots of fun

Always finding something new to be done,

Cobby what's your hobby?

Show us your new hobby,

Cobby whats's your hobby today..."

David Mace wrote at 2012-04-05 12:29:58
I was raised in South Australia during the 60's & 70's and definitely remember Cobby. In fact I was humming the tune as I was walking my dog on Anglesey, North Wales this morning. Heaven knows why? I'm always humming and singing snippets of oz tv shows from that era and it totally freaks my kids out. My wife has finally got used to it after 30 years. Dobie Gillis is another that creeps up every now and then.  

Anne wrote at 2012-05-19 10:25:23
I remember Cobby & Cobina, a fantastic show.  I have tried to find it on Amazon.com and also You Tube but have had no luck.  If anyone knows where to purchase the DVDs I would love to know.   I would love to see the shows again, they were really good.  

Katrina wrote at 2012-06-08 13:15:56
I was just singing this little Cobby what's your hobby ditty to a friend tonight in Adelaide and found your link. Am delighted to hear that Cobby is still going strong- we loved this chimp as kids

Stuart wrote at 2012-09-07 05:41:15
At last!  I knew Cobby was real and I didn't imagine it.

Cobby finds hobbies lots of fun,

Cobby likes hobbies each and every one,

Cobby what's your hobby?

Show us your new hobby

Cobby, what's your hobby today?

Donna McRae wrote at 2013-09-21 09:47:00
great ! I am also from Adelaide and now living in Melbourne and I have often asked people if they remember Cobby and they look at me blankly. The theme song goes through my head all the time too.

Perhaps we are a secret group :)  Would love to see it again.

Also would love to visit the real Cobby !  

Donna McRae wrote at 2013-09-26 00:53:20
If any of you pass by this way again please have a look at this group on FB -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/665164853494278/

Donna McRae wrote at 2015-12-29 06:06:26
Hi again,

This is the current FB page for Cobby. Please come along and like the page. https://www.facebook.com/Cobby-the-Chimp-604623722909981/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Elaine wrote at 2016-11-24 04:23:50
I live in Adelaide and my brother and I used to love this show!! Back in the late 60's I reckon. Always remember the above lines and also " don't worry cobina!"I think Cobby said that if one of his hobbies failed.It aired around the time of another show about 2 astronauts who somehow ended up back in the stone age. I t may have been called It's about Time, not sure tho'. I do remember the actress in it was Imogene Cocoa or something similar. Hilarious!!

Television Trivia

Mike Hensel