Television Trivia/horror series in the 70s

Sis wrote at 2009-12-27 02:18:42
What you are refering to I don't remember as a series but a movie called " Don't Be Afraid of the Dark". The scene you descibe with them dragging her and her taking polaroids is the exact ending that I remember of the movie. It scared me too. lol

Phillip Laidler wrote at 2010-02-03 20:18:01
Hi Dave.

The movie you are looking for is:

'Don't be afraid of the dark'

Here is the IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069992/

recordhound wrote at 2010-02-22 02:53:29
It's called Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, and was on the old ABC Movie of the Week, starring Kim Darby (of True Grit Fame) and Jim Hutton (Ellery Queen).

Zac wrote at 2010-07-27 10:27:25
I believe that your talking about an made for TV movie called Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973) (TV)  

Fireball XL-5 wrote at 2010-12-16 02:00:23
Hope I'm not to late (one year later). It was an ABC movie of the week entitled "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark."

Gina wrote at 2011-07-14 13:47:11
Maybe its the movie "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark"

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

The home video cover.

Directed by John Newland

Produced by Allen S. Epstein

Written by Nigel McKeand

Starring Kim Darby

Jim Hutton

Music by Billy Goldenberg

Cinematography Andrew Jackson

Editing by Gene Fowler, Jr.

Michael McCroskey

Distributed by ABC

USA Home Video

Release date(s) October 10, 1973 (U.S.)

Running time 74 min.

Country US

Language English

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is an American made-for-television horror film by Lorimar Productions that was first telecast on ABC on Wednesday October 10, 1973. It has since been shown many times in syndication and was distributed on home video and now on DVD. Nigel McKeand wrote the story and screenplay, and John Newland directed the film. It is known as Nightmare in certain countries in Europe.

Contents [hide]

1 Plot

2 Cast

3 Remake

4 DVD release

5 References

6 External links

[edit] PlotSally Farnham and her husband Alex inherit an old mansion from Sally's recently deceased grandmother. Shortly after moving in, she discovers a bricked-up fireplace in the basement den, and asks the estate's handyman, Mr. Harris, about it. He tells her that Sally's grandmother had him seal it up after her grandfather died and that it is better to leave it the way it is. After he leaves for the day and Sally is alone in the room, she uses some of Mr. Harris' tools to try and remove the bricks herself. She is unable to budge the bricks, but is able to prise open a small side door that Mr. Harris had said was used for removing ashes from the fireplace. Inside is not a fireplace at all but a large, dark, deep sub-basement. As Sally leaves the den, several whispering voices are heard coming from behind the fireplace, calling her name.

Sally soon begins to feel unsettled in the house. One night while sleeping, she is woken by voices whispering her name, and an ashtray mysteriously falls off her bedside cabinet. However Alex dismisses her concerns and believes she is suffering from nervous tension. The next evening, when she is alone in the house, something grabs her dress as she is walking down the stairs and she hears voices whispering "We want you". She manages to free herself and sees something scuttling away behind a curtain, which she believes was a small animal of some kind. Soon afterwards, she hears the same whispering coming from behind the fireplace in the basement den. When Alex returns home, he remains unconvinced of her story, but makes sure the fireplace is bolted securely shut to reassure her.

The following night, Sally throws a dinner party for Alex's work colleagues as he is up for partnership at his law firm. During the party, Sally sees a small, hideous goblin-like creature near her leg under the dinner table. She screams, but nobody believes what she saw as the creature quickly vanishes. Alex grows impatient with her and thinks she is becoming delusional. Later, while Sally is in the shower, three of the goblin creatures make their way into the bathroom and turn out the lights so that they can attack her with a razor. As Sally turns the light back on, the creatures shriek and retreat from the brightness into the bathroom cupboards where they disappear. Sally then tells Alex that they should sell the house.

The following day, Alex goes away on business and Sally arranges to go and stay with her friend Joan. However, before she goes, the creatures attempt to trip Sally down a flight of stairs, but they accidentally cause the death of her interior decorator instead. Sally tries to confront the creatures and asks them what they want, to which they reply they want her spirit as whoever frees them (as Sally did by opening the fireplace) must become one of them.

That evening, Sally's doctor prescribes sedatives while her friend Joan stays with her. Joan begins to believe Sally's story about supernatural creatures in the house. Returning early from his trip, Alex, however, remains unconvinced. Alex then leaves to speak with their handyman regarding the history of the house and the truth behind the bricked up fireplace and Sally's grandfather. While Sally tries to stay awake after the creatures put the sedatives into her coffee, the electricity is cut by the creatures and Joan is locked outside by them while checking on the circuit breaker box. Sally manages to walk downstairs, but the creatures trip her over in the dark. As she is semi-conscious, they then drag her into the basement den and into the unsealed fireplace before Alex and Joan can reach her. The film concludes with Sally and the creatures speaking to each other, patiently waiting for their next victim to move into the house.

CAST

[edit] CastKim Darby as Sally Farnham

Jim Hutton as Alex Farnham

William Demarest as Mr. Harris

Barbara Anderson as Joan Kahn

Pedro Armendáriz, Jr. as Francisco Perez

Lesley Woods as Ethel

Robert Cleaves as Doctor

Sterling Swanson as Policeman

J. H. Lawrence as George

William Sylvester as Tom

Don Mallon as Bob

Felix Silla (Creature)

Tamara DeTreaux (Creature)

Patty Maloney (Creature)

REMAKE

[edit] Remake Miramax Films have produced a remake of the film as a theatrical feature, due for release in 2011. The remake stars Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce, and was produced and co-written by Guillermo del Toro. The remake marks the directorial debut of comic book artist-writer Troy Nixey.[1]

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010)

99 min  -  Horror | Thriller   -  26 August 2011 (USA)  

A young girl sent to live with her father and his new girlfriend discovers creatures in her new home who want to claim her as one of their own.

Director: Troy Nixey

Writers: Guillermo del Toro (screenplay), Matthew Robbins (screenplay), and 1 more credit »

Stars:Katie Holmes, Guy Pearce and Bailee Madison  

I'm pretty sure this is the movie your looking for! I seen it back in the 70's,

leave a message up here and tell me if i was right or wrong?

Gina  

Vinny wrote at 2013-09-23 15:40:38
Don't Be Afraid of The Dark.  This was a made for Tv movie

Television Trivia

Mike Hensel