Television Trivia/TV show Groovy and dancer Cam Nelson

Sly wrote at 2009-07-16 20:27:32
Went to Alhambra High School in So. California w/Kam.  She was the "Bump" girl on 9th Street West, danced to a lot of Credance Clearwater stuff.  She probably graduated in 1968 or 1969.  I do remember they bleached her hair so much that it fell out and she had to wear scarfs and hats while it grew out.  Haven't seen her since high school.  She married an Olympic athelete (Segram)

Debbie wrote at 2010-01-10 06:54:25
Yes I remember the show. I was there for all the shows. Various rock groups would appear and crazy contests as well, It was shot just south of the Santa Monica Pier. Awww such fun the days at the beach.

Tunanorth wrote at 2010-04-01 20:38:57
The actual "Groovy Show" was filmed "on the sand" on the beach about 50 yards to the north of Santa Monica pier during the summer of 1967, and again in the summer of 1968.

The host was [blonde] actor Michael Blodgett, and [blonde] Cam Nelson was his co-host [eye candy].

Many as yet unknown acts like Linda Ronstadt, Spanky and Our Gang, and the Strawberry Alarm Clock lip-synched their hits, while teenagers danced in the sand.

The TV station was KHJ-TV [channel 9] in Los Angeles, who also aired numerous other teen-themed afternoon music/dance programs from about 1965 to 1970, mostly hosted by DJ Sam Riddle, and sporting titles like "9th Street West".

Get it; "Channel 9....9th Street West".  

lovetodance wrote at 2010-06-21 03:42:17
Kam Nelson was beautiful white blonde go-go dancer on Boss City.  Groovy was a separate program filmed on Malibu Beach.  My neighbor was a regular dancer on that show. Thought it was so cool to see him on TV!  Kam had great white go-go boots too!

neeners wrote at 2010-07-04 05:25:31
The show was called Groovy. Cam Nelson was a dancer on the show. I was on the show with a friend in '69 or '70

Jeanieq. wrote at 2010-09-24 09:26:10
The host of that show was Micheal Blogget, and Cam Nelson was the featured dancer.  As a young woman at that time, my friends and I all hated her.  The word was that she had dance trainers and her dancing ability didn't come natural.  

Mark Sublette wrote at 2010-10-01 08:19:50
I moved to California in 1968 and used to run home from junior high to watch The Groovy Show" on KHJ-TV.  As I recall, the original host was KHJ "Boss Jock" Robert W. Morgan (I don't remember either of the other guys whose names I have seen on the web), but BOY do I remember blonde teen model Kam Nelson!  She was also a licensed pilot and I recall an advert in Flying magazine with her posing in front of her pink Piper PA-28 Cherokee single-engine airplane.  

Dave wrote at 2010-11-12 16:42:54
The show was called 9th Street West and hosted by Sam Riddle. Kam's first pedestal dance was to CCR's "Born on the Bayou". And she definately was a looker!

60sbabe wrote at 2010-11-23 17:07:58
Kam Nelson Kam Nelson and Charlie

Kam Nelson was a dancer and hostess for several Los Angeles-based dance shows in the mid-to late 1960's, such as "Groovy" and "Boss City" (KHJ-TV (which is now KCAL-TV). She was married to USC pole vaulter/Olymipc champion and actor Bob Seagren for a time.

I read somewhere back then that Kam was fired from "Groovy" after being arrested on a shoplifting charge but don't know if that was ever verified as being true. She did suddenly disappear from the TV scene, though, and didn't hear about her after that.  

Alanna wrote at 2011-01-13 02:54:15
It was a show called 9th Street West. It was hosted by Sam Riddle, and Cam Nelson was his blond co-host (of sorts).

Gramma208 wrote at 2011-02-08 16:50:55
Yes,Groovy was a show filmed on the Santa Monica, California beach.  My friend, Iris and I were contestants in 1967 and we won a 45 rmp record of the Beatles!  I still have my copy, too.  What a memorable time that was for us.  It was a regional show based out of Cali in the late 60s.  Way cool and fun.

Gabriel wrote at 2011-02-16 21:40:23
Yep... The Groovy Show had the very luscious Cam Nelson... It was broadcast from Santa Monica Beach and was hosted by Micheal Bloggett

Michele wrote at 2011-03-27 01:45:44
The show was 9th Street West, there was also a show called Boss City and another called Groovy that was on KHJ channel 9 studio located on Melrose Ave in LA.  They were all dance shows.  One was broadcast live every weekday and one was taped to run on Saturday evening and would feature a guest singer, the show I attended had Brenton Wood as it's guest.  I don't know anything about the dancer, but I thought I'd try to clear up a tiny bit of the confusion about the shows names.

John wrote at 2011-05-13 14:59:44
As I recall it was hosted by Lloyd Thaxton, and Cam Nelson was the co-host of the show. She WAS a real cutie, too. She did marry Bob Seagren. I don't know their current marital status.I never heard another peep about her. I'm guessing she retired into domestic neverland after she left the show. Other than her good looks she had no real talent.

Merrilee wrote at 2011-07-13 18:38:08
I just wanted to say that as a young girl I to would come home from school and my girlfriend and I woud watch the show just to see Cam Nelson. I thought she was so beautiful! I loved the clothes she wore and Cam taught us to dance!!!! Id love to know how she's doing today!!!

Sandra wrote at 2011-08-18 00:20:40
It was definitely 9th street west or 9th street a go go. She was blond and the typical beach blond ideal. I was just 12 but I wanted to be her and learned all my dance moves from watching her.

mark wrote at 2011-09-24 03:53:06
My mom and dad won the "parents night" dance contest on november 13, 1964 and still have their engraved trophy--both are well at 87 and 85--was so hoping there might be a tape for that date but guess they just re-used them--thought those of you that know if the show might enjoy this bit--Mark

Bella Lagmay-Funk wrote at 2011-11-11 20:40:11
I grew up in California in the '60s and watched all the dance shows after school... "9TH STREET WEST" was hosted by KHJ DJ Sam Riddle and co-host Cam Nelson, beautiful blonde/go-go dancer who would gush about Olympic pole vaulter Bob Seagren and married him briefly. "GROOVY" was hosted by Michael Blodgett on the beach in Santa Monica. "SHEBANG" was hosted by KRLA DJ Casey Kasem - more popularly known for his "America's Top 40" show which aired for decades!

Candipanties wrote at 2011-11-18 18:51:55
I watched 'Groovy' from the last part of the show when it was at the beach.  It then moved to Palm Springs, which was only 20 miles from me...soooo, my sister and I were there every day!! It was a blast!  Im just wondering if there are archives of the shows now! ;o)

dondi chapman wrote at 2011-12-09 06:57:36
my mom took me to the beach every day i was about 4 or 5 yr old when we got home id turn on the tv and see my self on tv from the day before most of the time when the show was going to comercals you wood see me a naked blonde boy suntaned playing in the water

Kirk M. wrote at 2012-02-23 08:16:34
I grew up with Kam and her sister, Carla, in Monterey Park, CA. I remember running against Kam in elementary school for the position of Student Body Treasurer. She creamed me...probably cuz every guy in school voted for her. Definitely a looker (as was her sister! Popular girls!) I'm not sure how exactly she transitioned to dancing and television...but she became our local celebrity. I used to see her and Bob Seagren drive by my folks house in his shiny black Vette quite often...on their way to her folks house. (we lived about two blocks apart!) After high school, both Kam and Carla eventually disappeared. I heard Kam was married to Seagren for about 12 years...but I haven't heard a peep about her sense! Would sure like to know what happened to those girls! They had it going on!

Gayle Smith wrote at 2012-03-30 22:01:44
I remember the show, me and some of my friends were on the show dancing, it was either 1968 or 1969 but it was in a studio, not at the beach.

bob lou wrote at 2012-04-04 21:25:02
I remember it as The Groovy Show, shown on ch. 9 here in Los Angeles. My Sister was friends with Karla Nelson (Kam Nelson's sister). We all went to the beach together one day, I have to say Karla Nelson was quite a knockout in her bikini...she got a lot attention from the guys.  

Janie wrote at 2012-04-18 23:45:18
I was on the Groovy Show the summer of 67 and it was on either Melrose or Hollywood blvd, and later was shot at the beach

SRM wrote at 2012-06-04 01:16:22
I was a teenager and lived in Santa Monica when The Groovy Show was being filmed at the beach. I recall being filmed when roaming around the beach while the Electric Prunes were performing (or pretending to perform....)during one episode.  I believe it would have been in 1967. When that show was aired on TV, I remember some of the local surfers at my school noted to fellow class mates when they saw me, "Hey, I saw that dude on Groovy yesterday."

Venice Beach Mermaid wrote at 2013-04-13 19:05:34
Grew Up In Venice, On Dell Ave. Canals. My Little Brothers And Sister And I Were At The Show On The Beach DailY. Those Were The Best Days Of Our Life. One Show That Sticks,"Oogum Boogum Man, Brenton Wood".  All The Dancing Daily. We Were Blessed To Grow Up In Venice. No Marina Yet, No Traffic. Just Us 5 Kids Enjoying The Venice Canal Festivals, In The 60'S.  Jim Morrison Lived there. Many Musicians Crossed Paths With Us. Yes, Cam Nelson Was Beautiful, Left Her Mark.  

Venice Beach Mermaid wrote at 2013-04-13 19:08:26

P Smith wrote at 2013-09-01 00:24:13
YES, There was such a local show called "Groovy" it was recorded on the beach at Santa Monica and Venice from 1967-1970.  We were students and used to go over to watch the show in the afternoons when we got out of school.  Michael Blodgett was the host, VERY Cool & Cute. There was a lot of sand, surf, music and dancing.  It was produced by LA's KHJ-TV.  This was some good clean fun in SoCal!

Must say I miss the day!  Thanks for referencing info about the show.

Phylly - Class of '72

EzJ wrote at 2014-01-26 17:24:16
When I was in junior high school I spent summers in the City of Santa Monica’s Junior Lifeguard program.  We met daily in the afternoon on the strip of beach just north of the Santa Monica Pier.  There were about 200 young men participating.  Senior City Lifeguard’s Herb Suskin & Rudy Kroon were our instructors.  The cost was $25 for 6 weeks & a pair of cool red canvas surfer trunks could be had at the bathing suit store at Santa Monica Canyon & PCH for under $15.  To be eligible to participate in JG’s, each young man (no girls) had to pass a 50 yard swim test.  In 1965, there were a few boats anchored inside the breakwater north of the pier.  I passed my test on a cold foggy morning when I successfully swam out & back from a small sailboat anchored there.  The next 3 summers my cousins and I worked our way up to Advanced JG's.  We ran, did calisthenics, learned rescue techniques, 2 man carry/T bone carry. Suskin & Kroon worked us hard.  We also were required to dive off the pier (some of us did it off the top deck – appx 40 feet high) with rescue tubes & swim back to the beach through the barnacle covered pilings.  We were also required to jump out of the Santa Monica rescue launch at 15 knots with rescue tubes & swim about 200 yards to the beach. JG's took surfing trips, swam distance at the Santa Monica College swimming pools once a week, too.  All JG's were required to paddle paddleboards completely around the breakwater (no longer there)) a distance of about 3 miles.  Groovy was filmed there, too.  JG's were usually filmed for breakaway filler shots to capture the beach vibe.  The last summer Advanced JG's were assigned to work in the towers all the way down to where POP was.  We were required to assist the City LG's & the guys we all worked with were really cool & helpful to us. We'd try to always be home in time to see ourselves on Groovy which was a delayed taped broadcast.  It was a golden time…

Scott Daley wrote at 2014-05-22 19:46:11
AS a young surfer that lived in Manhattan Beach Calif., I was invited to be on the show but lied about my age saying I was 1 year older than I was.  It was fun, we danced and then Cam selected me and the girl I was dancing with to win the big Toostie Roll award.  It had to be in 1968?  

Connie from Covina wrote at 2014-09-26 03:19:16
I had the opportunity to dance on the Groovy Show and also went on the Groovy game show. It was around 1967-1968.

It was shot in a studio on Melrose. I won " Best Personality" prize on one show, which was a Sonny and Cher greatest hits set with two albums.

It was great! I went several times but quit when they moved to the beach. I was kissed on the forehead by Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul and Mary.

Great memories! My friend and I took a bus from Covina to the studio.

Rick Farris wrote at 2015-02-08 17:53:40
Her name is spelled Kam, as in "Kameron", I married her sister and I have been close friends with her since the show.  KAm married Olympic pole vault legend, Bob Seagrean.  They were married ten years and are still close friends.  They have a daughter "Kirsten" who is 40 yrs old and a mother of a little girl.  Kam lives in Brentwood, recently turned 64.

Jim wrote at 2015-03-02 15:57:22
my name is well that don't matter much, I knew Kam from my grade school days at Repptio.

Kam and I were boyfriend and girlfriend about the 7th grade and 8th grade. As I remember she was one of the best looking gals in school, she was the best athlete of the girls, and I was the best athlete of the boys.we dated in the 7th and 8th grade as much as you good in those days, and we even went to the 78 dances. We had a lot of good fun in those days, we laughed, we danced, we sang and we even kissed. I guess you could say she was the great love of my youth.After grade school we graduated to mark Keppel high school,as I remember she did move on to Alhambra high where L lost track of her,but I to rushed home after class to watch her dance on her show where she was the co-host.I'm writing this because now I find myself divorced and alone and would sure be obliged 2ne1 out there who can tell me where she's at today. As I heard from a good friend some years ago that you had a bit of bad luckand was on her own now I'd sure like to find out where she's at because maybe if the good Lord willing maybe we can tag up again and live the good life.

The name is Kurfman

JBGirl wrote at 2015-05-13 07:47:18
I was on the Groovy Show many times as well was the Saturday Dance shows, like every  week.  The Saturday Dance show was done on Saturday, taped but aired right away, that is why I could not really get home in time to see myself.  I even did a show one Saturday where Me and My Mom was asked questions and won a LIVE CHICKEN, I think that was the the Groovy Show.  I became friends with Walt Davis from the show, he thought it would be funny for the show. Fun Times....

lahope wrote at 2016-05-20 03:40:07
I did find a photo of Kam Nelson from 2011. http://www.patrickmcmullan.com/site/search.aspx?t=person&s=Kameron+Seagren

Soupp wrote at 2016-06-30 23:01:41
I worked on these shows assisting  the producer.  Kam  Nelson, Michael Blodgett and Sam Riddle were all very easy to work with. Groovy was my favorite of these. We had such blast doing these shows on the beach and surrounding parks when the beach became too cold. At he beach and at the parks, we had an "on location electronic vehicle" that the was used by the Director and cameramen. What a kick it was to put it on the sand. It was painted with paisleys of all different colors. You could see it from far away.  

Soupp wrote at 2016-07-01 03:49:39

Soupp wrote at 2016-07-05 00:15:00

Television Trivia

Marcia Studley