Tennis/FOOTFAULT

Question
WHAT IS A MOVING OR RUNNING FOOT-FAULT?   IN LEAGUE PLAY SOMEONE TRIED TO TELL US WE COULDN'T GET A RUNNING START ON OUR SERVES////ALSO IF I TOUCH MY FOOT ON THE LINE W/O SERVING THAT IS A FOOT FAULT ../  THAT'S NOT THE WAY WE READ THE RULES/////ADVISE???????

Answer
I will answer your secnod part first.

It is not a foot fault until the ball is struck.  Therefore, if you step on the line, then catch your toss and not serve it, it's not a foot fault.

The "running foot fault" is always tough to answer.  It can be literally, in that a volleyball type running jump serve is not allowed.  It is also said that you can't take more than one step with both feet.  Basically, you can't materially change your position.  A sliding step with your back foot, or a small step forward with your front foot would be ok.

Tennis

Chris Wilson