Terriers/tibetan terrier

Question
At what age should a Tibetan Terrier start to mountain climb since they are apparently a mountain climbing breed?

Answer
Hi
Technically you know they are not terriers but herding dogs and yes they are sure of foot. Start off slowly with short treks at this age and keep adding distance. Summer hiking should be done in the cool of the day since these dogs have thick luxurious coats for cold mountain air. If you decide not to maintain this breeds extremely high maintenance coat beware that by cutting it short it will lose the hard guard hair and will become soft and cottony. Then you will be better off maitaining a "puppy cut" on a monthly basis because they are very prone to matting if not routinely raked and combed out- hence the " high maintenance " label.
Be sure to check the foot pads after the hikes to make sure they are not scraped or cut. They toughen up with age.
Good luck and enjoy your trekking buddy!

Terriers

ElizaBeth CRONK