Terriers/tibetan terrier

At what age should a Tibetan Terrier start to mountain climb since they are apparently a mountain climbing breed?

Technically you know they are not terriers but herding dogs and yes they are sure of foot. Start off slowly with short treks at this age and keep adding distance. Summer hiking should be done in the cool of the day since these dogs have thick luxurious coats for cold mountain air. If you decide not to maintain this breeds extremely high maintenance coat beware that by cutting it short it will lose the hard guard hair and will become soft and cottony. Then you will be better off maitaining a "puppy cut" on a monthly basis because they are very prone to matting if not routinely raked and combed out- hence the " high maintenance " label.
Be sure to check the foot pads after the hikes to make sure they are not scraped or cut. They toughen up with age.
Good luck and enjoy your trekking buddy!

ElizaBeth CRONK

I am an expert in terrier grooming and have been the expert on the dog grooming site for well over a year. While I am trained as an all breed groomer my true expertise is in the art of terrier grooming. Hand plucking for pets, to be specific.

23 years as a professional pet groomer, 20 of them specifically working with wire hair breeds. Private residential business in Manhattan with over 250 client and have done over 30,000 groomings.

Twin Brooks Kennel Club, former Board member Metropolitan Dog CLub, regular contributer to Groomer Talk at

website: educational DVD Groomertalk at

NY School of Dog Grooming, apprenticed with major professional show dog handlers and breeders.

website has testimonials available- I do not list private clients