Terriers/seeking rat terrier

I lost my "Jax" after 9 years,one day he appeared on my doorstep hungry and 9 yrs later he passed away from us he was the most wonderful dog I have ever had. I would like another Rat Terrier, female,I am so tired of looking in local shelters and online at classifieds, I don't know where else to look. scared of breeders, my family and I need a rat terrier not to replace Jax but to help our sadness we have alot of love to give.  I am exhausted looking...can you help.  I have also looked at rescue sites also for older terriers.  Thanks Shawnna

I completely understand your predicament - been there several times. Have you looked into breed rescue? Try to start.
I know these groups seem dauntingly particular but it is truly for the animals protection. No boomerang dogs!
I can only say you MUST submit an application and call and cajole and convince. Maybe a foster to start( which often ends up a permenant placement). Go to pet expos as opposed to shelters. Maybe give up that breed idea. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine my family with a long haired Chihuaua but she found me at a local show and has been crowned the Princess of the house by all. I had another breed in mind - looked for 3 years and then one day at a Petfair she happened and stole my heart... and my bed! Lol
Don't give up your new dog is waiting for you... With all the love to give back. There are many rat terrier breed rescue sites. They exist for people just like you
Good luck

ElizaBeth CRONK

I am an expert in terrier grooming and have been the expert on the dog grooming site for well over a year. While I am trained as an all breed groomer my true expertise is in the art of terrier grooming. Hand plucking for pets, to be specific.

23 years as a professional pet groomer, 20 of them specifically working with wire hair breeds. Private residential business in Manhattan with over 250 client and have done over 30,000 groomings.

Twin Brooks Kennel Club, former Board member Metropolitan Dog CLub, regular contributer to Groomer Talk at

website: educational DVD Groomertalk at

NY School of Dog Grooming, apprenticed with major professional show dog handlers and breeders.

website has testimonials available- I do not list private clients