Terriers/Jack Russell Anal Gland leakage :(

Hi :)
We adopted a terrier mix, who turned out to be a Jack
Russell Rough Coat, back in January.   He has been on dry dog food only.   His anal glands leak quite a bit and it's quite disgusting when it gets on clothes and furniture.   It smells like very concentrated ammonia.   It's great that his anal gland never gets clogged up, but is there a way to make the leaking stop?

Hi Suzanne,
Well that sounds pretty nasty... You should take your dog to the vet and have his glands checked- it could be an infection. They may need to be removed. Could just need a course of antibiotics but could be symptomatic of a deeper problem. I would not wait. Food should not have anything to do with it.
good luck.

ElizaBeth CRONK

I am an expert in terrier grooming and have been the expert on the dog grooming site for well over a year. While I am trained as an all breed groomer my true expertise is in the art of terrier grooming. Hand plucking for pets, to be specific.

23 years as a professional pet groomer, 20 of them specifically working with wire hair breeds. Private residential business in Manhattan with over 250 client and have done over 30,000 groomings.

Twin Brooks Kennel Club, former Board member Metropolitan Dog CLub, regular contributer to Groomer Talk at

website: educational DVD Groomertalk at

NY School of Dog Grooming, apprenticed with major professional show dog handlers and breeders.

website has testimonials available- I do not list private clients