Textiles/Apparel/Standard file resolution and putting an indexed file into layers?

Hi Frederick,

What is the apparel industry standard for file resolution? if I'm selling textile designs do they need to be 300 dpi or is 150 dpi ok?

In the case that a client wants an indexed file as well as a layered file of a design, how would you take an indexed psd file and separate it into layers?

First of all the standard is either 300 dpi for fine linework (or 254 dpi which is equal to 100 centimeters per inch). If the file is very loose and painterly you can get away with working at 150 dpi.

From indexed color to layers? All you have to do is convert the file to RGB color mode. Select and then go to layer-new-layer via cut (on top the top menu bar in Photoshop).

FYI: What's strange about this request from your client is that there's no need for this. Usually the challenge is to convert a layered design down to indexed color. Maybe that's what they actually wanted? To work in layers and then color reduce it down to indexed colors in order to show the colorways? Usually this is what's done. This also makes sense because usually the design that was created in layers is sent to the mill (because it maintains the integrity of the original design) along with the colorways which were done in indexed color.

Frederick Chipkin

I can answer questions that focus on using computer aided design for textile design. My career focus has been on using adobe photoshop for textile design.

Frederick Chipkin of Kew Gardens NY has earned inclusion in the 2008 edition of Who's Who in America and in the 2008 Edition of Who's Who in the world. Frederick's biography has been included in Who's Who Since 2004. To be chosen for inclusion, candidates must have held a position of responsibility or have attained a significant achievement. Frederick graduated Parsons School of design with a BFA in surface design. A textile designer for Liz Claiborne, Bernard Chaus, Manager CAD dept. I Appel, Owner of Design Society, and most recently Owner of Origin inc. Textile Design studio, Fredericks career has spanned 20 years in the industry. Frederick is best known for his book Adobe PhotoShop for textile design. Frederick first wrote his book Adobe Photoshop for Textile Design in 2001 and has been continuously updating it ever since. As of 2009 Adobe Photoshop for Textile Design is now in its 8th edition. The main focus of Frederick's book is to enable the textile designer to accomplish all the essential tasks of textile design without the use of a proprietary program or plugins. It guides you through step by step techniques for creating color combinations, repeats, color reduction of a tonal (watercolor) design and simple woven effects. There's also a section on how to use layers to create quick color combinations. There is a CD included with the book that contains color charts and practice images. For more information on Adobe Photoshop for Textile Design please go to . If you would like to see sample pages please go to or you can go to and type in the ISBN 0972731709 or 9780972731706

CraftEdu Frederick Chipkins bio and online classes can be found at

Parsons School of Design BFA in surface design.