Textiles/Apparel/design calender

Hi Frederick,

Firstly thanks for all the answers provided on this platform. It really clarified a lot of my doubts.
I wanted to know about the design calendar. Designers should work on which season's prints during what months of the year? (if they want to sell through agents or at trade shows)

Looking forward to your reply.

Hi Sarah,

Hopefully this will simplify things for you. Keep in mind that this is not an exact science and I'm throwing in lots of my own opinions based upon my own experience.

It used to be more formal. Designers used to work one year ahead of the season. Now it's more like six months.  FYI: Some designers work even closer to the season.

January - March is Spring
March - June used to be called spectator season. But now spectator and Spring is considered one season.  Spectator prints are stripes dots & geometrics done in black & whites with either red yellow or  azure blue. So always include stripes dots & geometrics in your spring line.

Summer is from June to August
Transition is from Summer to Fall (August to October) however presently Summer and Transition have become one season too.  If the colors are mid-tone to dark grounds they are considered transition.

Fall (Oct to January) usually has less prints. Part of fall is holiday which is always jewel tones with lots of metallic's which of course have do with Christmas & newyears.  

Frederick Chipkin

I can answer questions that focus on using computer aided design for textile design. My career focus has been on using adobe photoshop for textile design.

Frederick Chipkin of Kew Gardens NY has earned inclusion in the 2008 edition of Who's Who in America and in the 2008 Edition of Who's Who in the world. Frederick's biography has been included in Who's Who Since 2004. To be chosen for inclusion, candidates must have held a position of responsibility or have attained a significant achievement. Frederick graduated Parsons School of design with a BFA in surface design. A textile designer for Liz Claiborne, Bernard Chaus, Manager CAD dept. I Appel, Owner of Design Society, and most recently Owner of Origin inc. Textile Design studio, Fredericks career has spanned 20 years in the industry. Frederick is best known for his book Adobe PhotoShop for textile design. Frederick first wrote his book Adobe Photoshop for Textile Design in 2001 and has been continuously updating it ever since. As of 2009 Adobe Photoshop for Textile Design is now in its 8th edition. The main focus of Frederick's book is to enable the textile designer to accomplish all the essential tasks of textile design without the use of a proprietary program or plugins. It guides you through step by step techniques for creating color combinations, repeats, color reduction of a tonal (watercolor) design and simple woven effects. There's also a section on how to use layers to create quick color combinations. There is a CD included with the book that contains color charts and practice images. For more information on Adobe Photoshop for Textile Design please go to . If you would like to see sample pages please go to or you can go to and type in the ISBN 0972731709 or 9780972731706

CraftEdu Frederick Chipkins bio and online classes can be found at

Parsons School of Design BFA in surface design.