Textiles/Apparel/Freelancing - Best way to display prints

Hi Frederick,

I come from a fashion design background, but have now changed my career path to be more textile design specific. I've been looking for assistant textile design jobs but seems its been a bit more of a challenge as I don't have textile specific experience. So in the mean time, I figured I would try to freelance and sell my current prints by networking as best as I can.

However, I understand how important presentation can be when displaying my prints. I wanted to have my prints on fabric to show potential clients instead of just on paper. I remember a textile agency at a brand I used to work for came in and showed their prints on beautiful fabrics that really helped to conceptualize how good the print looks on actual fabric/potential garments.
I tried to print my designs at Spoonflower, however their fabric selection was not that great. Do you know of any other sites/companies that one could use for large fabric swatch prints such as this?

Also, I am currently displaying my prints on my Coroflot portfolio site. However I wanted to see if there were any other recommendations you had as far as a site in which one should display work for purchase? I don't really know how to set up my own webpage, and am looking for a site in which can be easy to set up and feature my work but not look like such a "portfolio".

Hi again Shanna,

I'm not an expert on everything however I'll answer you as best I can.
For research on printable fabric I recommend going to Dharma's websight: Dharma's
Phone # is 800-542-5227.

I have a websight however Almost every contact I've had
has been through cold phonecalls or trade shows such as Surtex (in NY)or premierevision (also in NY)
or Indigo (in Paris).

Yes, cold phone calls are tough and trade shows are an endurance test however these are the best ways I've found for people to establish themselves.

Take care,

Frederick Chipkin

I can answer questions that focus on using computer aided design for textile design. My career focus has been on using adobe photoshop for textile design.

Frederick Chipkin of Kew Gardens NY has earned inclusion in the 2008 edition of Who's Who in America and in the 2008 Edition of Who's Who in the world. Frederick's biography has been included in Who's Who Since 2004. To be chosen for inclusion, candidates must have held a position of responsibility or have attained a significant achievement. Frederick graduated Parsons School of design with a BFA in surface design. A textile designer for Liz Claiborne, Bernard Chaus, Manager CAD dept. I Appel, Owner of Design Society, and most recently Owner of Origin inc. Textile Design studio, Fredericks career has spanned 20 years in the industry. Frederick is best known for his book Adobe PhotoShop for textile design. Frederick first wrote his book Adobe Photoshop for Textile Design in 2001 and has been continuously updating it ever since. As of 2009 Adobe Photoshop for Textile Design is now in its 8th edition. The main focus of Frederick's book is to enable the textile designer to accomplish all the essential tasks of textile design without the use of a proprietary program or plugins. It guides you through step by step techniques for creating color combinations, repeats, color reduction of a tonal (watercolor) design and simple woven effects. There's also a section on how to use layers to create quick color combinations. There is a CD included with the book that contains color charts and practice images. For more information on Adobe Photoshop for Textile Design please go to . If you would like to see sample pages please go to or you can go to and type in the ISBN 0972731709 or 9780972731706

CraftEdu Frederick Chipkins bio and online classes can be found at

Parsons School of Design BFA in surface design.