Textiles/Apparel/Repeat print, fashion vs. home textile

Dear Frederick,
I was wondering if there's a size difference between repeat print for fashion and for home textile? what is the standard layout size for fashion and home?

Hi Hanna,

Home furnishings often have a 36" repeat simply because they deal with large scale patterns. However there are plenty of home furnishing patterns which are small scale too and have no difference (in regards to repeat size) the apparel. Fabric is now printed allover the world. In the US the standard repeat size used to be 25.25". However in China and Korea both 25.25 and 24" are used however 24" is more common. Want a good safe bet? 36" for large scale home furnishings and 24" for everything else. Keep in mind that good communication is essential so please ask you customer before diving right in. FYI: In the past I've also worked on 32" repeats for a few people (by request) but this is not as common a repeat size.

Take care,

Frederick Chipkin

I can answer questions that focus on using computer aided design for textile design. My career focus has been on using adobe photoshop for textile design.

Frederick Chipkin of Kew Gardens NY has earned inclusion in the 2008 edition of Who's Who in America and in the 2008 Edition of Who's Who in the world. Frederick's biography has been included in Who's Who Since 2004. To be chosen for inclusion, candidates must have held a position of responsibility or have attained a significant achievement. Frederick graduated Parsons School of design with a BFA in surface design. A textile designer for Liz Claiborne, Bernard Chaus, Manager CAD dept. I Appel, Owner of Design Society, and most recently Owner of Origin inc. Textile Design studio, Fredericks career has spanned 20 years in the industry. Frederick is best known for his book Adobe PhotoShop for textile design. Frederick first wrote his book Adobe Photoshop for Textile Design in 2001 and has been continuously updating it ever since. As of 2009 Adobe Photoshop for Textile Design is now in its 8th edition. The main focus of Frederick's book is to enable the textile designer to accomplish all the essential tasks of textile design without the use of a proprietary program or plugins. It guides you through step by step techniques for creating color combinations, repeats, color reduction of a tonal (watercolor) design and simple woven effects. There's also a section on how to use layers to create quick color combinations. There is a CD included with the book that contains color charts and practice images. For more information on Adobe Photoshop for Textile Design please go to . If you would like to see sample pages please go to or you can go to and type in the ISBN 0972731709 or 9780972731706

CraftEdu Frederick Chipkins bio and online classes can be found at

Parsons School of Design BFA in surface design.