Thermodynamics/Parallel piping

Dear Sir,

I'm not sure if this is something you can give an answer to, but I don't know in which category this belongs.

What is the difference between parallel piping supply and series piping supply. I cannot paste a drawing of the piping that I did, but I will try to explain it. However, I split 1"pipe in 3/4'' and 1'' pipe. Length is about 50 meters. I connected the pipes in a manifold which supply building 3/4'' pipe, and the pool 1-1/4''. I had water in the building, but almost no water in the pool. When I blocked 3/4'' supply pipe to manifold and left only 1'' pipe, a got water both in the building and the pool. I don't understand what happened. Was it due to parallel piping or something else.
Thank you.

Hi Nirman,

Flow in pipes is mostly affected by the pressure or 'Head' of water at the entry and pressure drop due to friction along the pipes. In low pressure systems problems also arise due to air-locks and minor changes in gradient. Another common problem is inadvertantly forming a syphon in one part of the system.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Thermodynamics, chemistry, chemical reactions, kinetics, chemical reaction safety, dust explosion technology, static electricity. General science.

Over 40 years experience as a practicing thermochemist in industry. Head of the fire and explosion laboratory of a major European chemical company (Ciba-Geigy). Now retired.

Institute of Chemical Engineers. Royal Society of Chemistry.

Chartered Chemist, Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (C.Chem MRSC). Msc Sheffield.