Hello sir

If for eg when we take a beaker and pour some amount of water in it and add 2to 3 cystals of potassium permanganate, then we observe that the crytals get dissovled in water. So by this we can conclude that one state of matter can get dissolved in another state of matter.

in this activity i have confusion that when one state of matter get dissolved in another state of matter why not when testube get dissolved in water when we had added water into it. If crystals can get dissolved then why not beaker.

Sir if it feels like not understood please ask me to clearly expalian

Hi AM,

There are many liquids, water, oil, parafin, petrol, silicone liquids, liquified gases etc. etc.

But not all solids are soluble in all liquids.

In your case the solid is a salt of small molecular weight and is easily dissolved by water.
A beaker is made of glass which is a huge macro molecule far to big to be dissolved in water which is made of very small molecules (H2O).

I hope this helps.
Best wishes.

Thermodynamics, chemistry, chemical reactions, kinetics, chemical reaction safety, dust explosion technology, static electricity. General science.

Over 40 years experience as a practicing thermochemist in industry. Head of the fire and explosion laboratory of a major European chemical company (Ciba-Geigy). Now retired.

Institute of Chemical Engineers. Royal Society of Chemistry.

Chartered Chemist, Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (C.Chem MRSC). Msc Sheffield.