Thermodynamics/nuclear explosion

Question
I remember watching a nuclear test film on t.v.
When the explosion reached a  house, first it was blown away then the shock wave turned back on itself, is this because the initial shock wave pushed the house away before the vacuum created in the explosion ducked it back!

Answer
Hi Allan,

What happens is that a shock wave is composed of a leading high-pressure wave much like a wave at sea. To this is attached, as an ingegral part of the wave, a low-pressure wave much like a trough follows a sea wave.

Thus the house will be blown away from the blast initially and the trailing edge of the wave of low-pressure will suck the house back.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.
Kevin.

Thermodynamics

Kevin