Thyroid Problems/Elevated TSH

Question
Hello Doctor,

Greetings!

My name is Bela Sarkar and I am 72 years old. I am undergoing treatment for hypothyroidism for almost 2 years. I am hypertensive with ischemic heart disease. Since, I am medication I lead a very active life as a 40 year old human being.

Well, since my TSH, FT3, FT4 and lipid profile test results came normal with Thyrocare lab standard, I discontinued my medication in the month of December 2012. In Jan 2013, I repeated thyroid tests and found TSH to be 28.82 which was far elevated than the reference range (0.30 -5.5). Once again I started my medication (Thyrox) on empty stomach. Earlier my dosage was 25. Now the doctor increased it to 50. However, I started getting nausea, and my heart pulse increased. I started losing weight too (My height is 4ft 11 inch and my weight reduced to 43 from 46 kg. For years, my weight was contact at 45 kg). I reported my discomfort but my doctor asked me to continue the dosage 50. Yes, the TSH reached the normal range. Since, I was getting unwell, without consulting the doctor further, I changed my dosage to 25 and is still continuing the same. Even now, I am struggling with underweight.Today, I got my thyroid report where my TSH is 10.33.

What should I do? Should I increase my dosage?

There are not many good endocrinologists in my small town, so thought of consulting you.

Bela Sarkar

Answer
Hello Mrs.Bela Sarkar!
Warm welcome to you!
First of all please tell me why did you discontinue the thyroid medication? Was there any specific reason? I think the symptoms of nausea and weight loss are due to increased dosage of Thyroxine. But after seeing the latest TSH report I feel 50mg is the right dosage for you! Anyway I think the reason for adverse effects of medication is starting of with the 50mg directly after a gap of 3 months. Now you do one thing. Continue the 25 mg for two months and then shift to 50 mg.

Thanking you!

Have a great day. Bye.

***Dear AllExperts user, If you are satisfied with my service, please take your time to donate a little money for providing medical facilities and education to poor.You can donate as less as 5$ - 10$. Your little donation can save lives!! Please donate only if you are satisfied with the service and willing to help poor. I dont want to force you! Thanking you!
Account Details: SHRINIDHI LAXMAN KULKARNI A/C No. 04152010144683 IFSC CODE:SYNB0000415 BRANCH DETAILS:BANGALORE N R COLONY, No.1 FIRST MAIN ROAD, N R COLONY, BANGALORE 560019 ***

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni