Thyroid Problems/weight is 6kg less and not weight gain

Question
QUESTION: Dear Doctor,

I am 45 year old male and my weight is 57.5 kg,living in India.actually i should be 64 kg but i am not gaining weight despite eating much.i am eating much veg,fruit,rice,curd,banana,dates,cereals daily.nuts and nonveg on Sunday am not taking chips and cakes,fast foods etc
I am doing exercise once in a week but it goes upto 2.5 hours.it is a combination of walking,aerobic,small weight based exercise.I have tested for thyroid but it is normal.what is going on in my body.my finger nails are half weight and half pink.Am i anemic? Am I deficient to anything? any thyroid problem not detected by blood test leads to this lean posture.I am energetic always.sleeping 6 hours per day.what is going on in my body? what happened to the food i have taken.Despite huge intake,nothing improved.

i am ready to take any test.pl kindly recommend

Reg
Kumar

ANSWER: Hello Kumar!
Warm welcome to you!
It could be due to nutritional deficiency/malabsorption/Intestinal worms/hormonal. Or physiologically if your profession involves hardwork, that can also cause underweight issues. Anyway please send your height. Most probable cause would be anemia. But we need to find out whats causing anemia.
After reading your mail I recommend you the following tests:
Complete Blood Count
Random Blood Sugar
Also if you have the reports of thyroid tests, please send them.

Thanking you!

***Dear AllExperts user, If you are satisfied with my service, please take your time to donate a little money for providing medical facilities and education to poor.You can donate as less as 5$ - 10$. Your little donation can save lives!! Please donate only if you are satisfied with the service and willing to help poor. I dont want to force you! Thanking you!
Account Details: SHRINIDHI LAXMAN KULKARNI A/C No. 04152010144683 IFSC CODE:SYNB0000415 BRANCH DETAILS:BANGALORE N R COLONY, No.1 FIRST MAIN ROAD, N R COLONY, BANGALORE 560019 ***

QUESTION: Dear Docotr,
Thank you for quick response.

My height is 167.5 cm weight is 57.5kg
my FERRITIN is  48.15 ng/ml (ref 30 - 400 ng/ml)
. ZINC : 71.6 Microgm/dl (ref 70 - 150 Microgm/dl
B12 is 184 pg/ml( ref range 180 to 914  /mlfor male),
copper 108 microgram/dl(ref range 70 to 140 microgram/dl),

taken on 20/11/2010
free t4 1.21ng/dl  ref range 0.93 to 1.7)
tsh 3 rd generation( hs TSH)  1.590mIu/ml( ref range 0.27 to 4.2 mIu/ml)

test taken on 12/5/2013
Rbc count 4.78 million/cmm(ref 4.6-6.1)
haemoglobin  14.7 gm/dl(ref 13.7-17.5)
Total WBC count 4700 cells/cmm( ref 4200-9100)
liver and kidney function test normal.no cholestrol.no blood sugar( glucose tolerance test and before and after fasting also done 3 times)

i have taken 3 time tablet for killing stomach worms( i just taken as per doctor advice no test taken whether i have worm or not)

so for no anemia test done.my hair too greyed more than 50 percent

kindly answer
By
Kumar

Answer
Hi Kumar,
Nice to hear from you!
After seeing your height and weight, I dont think you are underweight. Your BMI is 20.5, which is totally normal for an Indian. So right now you dont have to worry. If you notice constant weight loss then you can contact me. But in general if you want to gain weight try taking more proteins. veg,fruit,rice,curd,banana,dates,cereals etc contain more carbohydrates so not going to help you in gaining weight. But they are also important because they are rich in vitamin and micronutrients. But if you want to gain weight you will need to consume more of pulses and beans. Soya bean is rich source of protein. Will guide you about the diet in detail later.

Thanking you!

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni