Thyroid Problems/Hypothyrodism and trying to conceive

Question
Hello Dr.

I am a 31 year old female.
I have been diagoned wd hypothyroidism 3 days ago. MY TSH levels were at 7.77mu/L and T4 at 14.2pmo/L .Dr. has put me on 25 mcg dosage of Levothyroxine to start with .

My question is that my husband and I want to try to conceive in the coming cycle which means I should be ovulating around 28th March. Is it advisable to go ahaead or should we wait for my thyroid retest and then plan.

T/hanks in advance.

Answer
Hi Sil,
Warm welcome to you.
I read your thyroid test results carefully. I suggest you to wait for your thyroid test to be done again. Your TSH level should come around 2 (normal range 0.3 - 3) for you to have safe pregnancy. I think this level may not be achievable by current dose of levothyroxine. You may require dose adjustment. Let your body get adjusted to dose then you both can plan for baby. And one more important thing is next time while doing thyroid test get your anti-thyroid antibody tests done. It is very important because if it comes positive your physician has to manage your pregnancy very carefully. If you have any doubts, you can contact me anytime.

Take care. Have a good day. Bye.

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni