Thyroid Problems/PCOS natural cure

Dr. Kulkarni,
Hi! I accidentally lost the link to reply to your question; I think it was because I rated you too soon. I am sorry. I reposted your letter; I am replying. I am not lactose intolerant, well maybe a little bit sometimes, but not usually.

I think I have lost about 20 pounds since January but I don't have a scale.

On a typical day, I will eat 3 fruits in a smoothie; namely apple, orange, kiwi, pineapple, strawberries or banana with spinach, flax seed oil, ice and water or 100% pineapple juice for breakfast. I will have another couple of pieces of fruit for a snack(or wheat crackers (with no oils used to cook) along with some 100% peanuts, peanut butter and have another smoothie for lunch. For dinner I would make something like chicken cooked in coconut oil, asparagus(butter & salt) and mashed potatoes. (limited) Another dinner would be very lightly battered tilapia fish with brown rice, corn and green beans. My mom might also make spaghetti with meatballs or macaroni and cheese. As you can tell, I am lenient at dinner-time; my mom is gradually getting into healthier foods with me and she can be a little stuck in her ways. I eat 2-4 tablespoons of the coconut oil and it gives me energy. I drink about 8 glasses of water. I have been eating like this since January. I will stay "in this place" with food until I can figure out what other types of food I can eat that are good for me. Hopefully, you can help me. You have already helped very much.
Thanks again. Hope you have a wonderful day!

"Hello Carolyn,
The noise your tummy makes while digesting is called 'borborygmi'. It could be sometimes a matter of concern (as it is seen in constipation or mechanical/anatomical obstruction etc). But not in your case now. As your bowel habits are absolutely fine. But whenever you develop constipation, nausea, vomiting, pain abdomen, distension of stomach, you should immediately consult a physician. Are you lactose intolerant?

Ya good to know you dont have diabetes. But my suggestion is keep an eye on that. Because women with PCOS tend to develop insensitivity to insulin. ok.

Ya as you rightly said keep weight under control is the key for your healthy life. So after starting diet how much weight you have lost? Do you know what is BMR and how much BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) you have? Your BMR is around 2100. That means you can consume 2100 Kcal per day to maintain present weight. If you want to reduce weight you should consume less than 2100 Kcal. You should thank god because your height is good 5'11. It will be easy for you to loose weight. Anyway how much calories are you consuming daily? Any idea? What kind of diet/food you take, tell in detail. I will guide you further. And dont stop eating oil/fat completely(over ambitious about loosing weight!). All nutrients are needed for body to be healthy.

Take care. Have a good Day."

Your diet looks rather pretty balanced and healthy. But make sure your daily intake does not exceed 1600-1700. So that you can slowly keep loosing weight. Become more calorie conscious. I mean to say be calculative, serch through web or ask me about calories in food. Although no need of knowing exact calories in a food. But you should have the idea which one is relatively less in calories. Eg: The peanuts and peanut butter you are consuming are high in caloires. Non-vegs are proteinaceous but still calories are on the higher side. So keep them in moderation. Choose foods which are more in mass and less in calories. Because the satiety centres in brain are stimulated by the amount of stretching your stomach wall experiences! Try to eat slowly. Satiety is also related to colour n odour of food. So I suggest you not to stop your favourite foods completely/suddenly. Eat them but in little quantity for the sake of your taste buds. So the secret plan here is to keep your diet program going constantly till you achieve goal. And so that you wont loose interest in diet. Ok anyway you can contact me anytime. Will send you the list of other foods you can have in the evening.

Take care. Bye.

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni

Dont hesitate to ask your health related queries. 24 X 7 ready to provide solutions to your health concerns. All questions are welcome ! Speciallly Endocrinology.

Working as a Doctor in Primary Health care Centre.

KIMS, Bangalore

MBBS, Intership in Internal Medicine