Thyroid Problems/Thyroid Panel Question(s)

Question
Hi Dr. Kulkarni ~

I have a Thyroid Lab Panel Question for you.

First, some background you may need. I was diagnosed HYPO-thyroid about 3 years ago and placed on Armour Thyroid (after trying Synthroid)

I am currently on 90mgs Armour Thyroid.

My recent lab panels have been kind of funky and I wanted your take on them. My MD just mails me the labs and makes a note on them if I am to change.

Here are the labs:
November 2012
Free T3 3.7 (2.4-4.0)Quest
Free T4 0.8 (0.8-1.5)
No TSH

February
Free T3 4.6 (2.0-3.6) Hospital Lab
Free T4 1.1 (0.8-1.5)
TSH 0.342   (0.3-3.0)

April
Free T3 4.7 (2.0-3.6)
Free T4 0.8 (0.8-1.5)
TSH 0.832   (0.3-3.0)

My question is, are these normal? It seems that my FT3 is high and my FT4 is low, but my TSH is normal.

I am just not feeling that great. I am SO tired all the time, and can't lose weight despite being on Weight Watchers and doing an hour of cardio and 30-40mins of Weight training 5x a week. I just don't feel "myself" - I feel "off" - I know that is vague but I am wondering if the answer could be in my Thyroid?

Previous to the labs above, I had at one point gone up to 2.3 on my TSH so my MD offered me an additional 15mg of Armour (as she likes her pts around 1) and I used that additional for about a month, then when I saw the November labs I backed off and went back down to the 90mg, but I seem to be staying in this funky range.

Do you have any insight? Your opinion and expertise are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance so much!!

Also, in case it is important - the only other "odd" labs are low calcium and low magnesium and low UIBC?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Stacie

Answer
Hello Stacie,
Warm welcome to you!
Even I believe that your FT3 is bit high. Its because you are taking high dose of Armour. I dont find any reason for maintaining TSH at such low level. Are you planning for a baby? Even for women planning for conceiving TSH below 2 should be enough. I think your physician is over ambitious :) Loosing weight not only depends on medications but also on your diet. Are you taking high dose of Armour, just to loose weight? Then please dont do it, it can be harmful. And its not that TSH values should be around what your MD likes. She should be trying to find the comfortable range for you.

And my suggestion after hearing that you are low on calcium and magnesium is that you get your parathyroid gland checked by your physician.

I think your physician might have suggested you how many calorie diet you should follow. If not send your height weight and age.

Take care. Have a great day. Bye.

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni