Thyroid Problems/Hypoechoic nodule and hypothyroidism

Question
I'm a 28 year old female who weighs about 216 pounds but am also quite active.  I have been diagnosed since 2008 with hypothyroidism and since then I have had worsening symptoms that I don't know if they are related to hypo or something else.  I've had symptoms of something since I was about 11 or 12.  Still don't know what.

Back at the end of May 2013, I woke up with swollen glands, a really swollen neck, sore throat, stiff neck muscles, trouble swallowing stuffy nose, etc.  It went away in a couple of weeks, came back for another week, but it's gone now.  I had an issue a couple of years ago where I had milder symptoms then I could see my pulse on the right side of my neck.

During an ultrasound a tiny nodule was found that was 5x4 mm.  It also says that it is homogeneous in echotexture.  There is no calcification or other nodules present.

If you could provide me with some guidance, that would be great.  My primary care doctor is sending me to an ENT doctor for the next step.  I also am going to a chronic pain specialist to see if she can help too.

Other Symptoms include:  fatigue, muscle pain, joint pain, easy bruising, dry skin, fine hair, cold extremities, tough time losing weight, depression, constipation, focus and concentration issues, plus others.

Answer
Hello Jen!
Warm welcome to you!
Is the swelling increasing? Have you got your anti-thyroid antibodies tested? It could be either Hashimoto's Thyroiditis or Toxic nodular goitre. You may need FNAC(Fine needle aspiration cytology in coming days. Right now since the nodule is homogenous and very small no need of FNAC. After the nodule grows more than 1cm then the FNAC will tell you whether the nodule is benign or cancerous then your doctor will choose either radioactive iodine therapy or thyroidectomy(partial/subtotal) depending on FNAC results.

And all the symptoms you mentioned are suggestive of hypothyroidism/hashimotos. So please get antithyroid antibodies tested.

Thanking you,
Have a great day. Bye.

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni