Thyroid Problems/interpreting high TSH for a friend

TSH  4.97  (.27-4.2)
T4  7.6  (4.5-11.7)
T4 free  1.06  (.93-1.7)
T3  97  (80-200)

How is this interpreted as far as hypothyroidism. My friend has no symptoms of hypothryoid. She has, however, been under a lot of emotional stress for a year (family issues) and has been in a lot of pain (back problems) for over three years.

On the basis of the elevated TSH her doctor wants her to start on thyroid hormone (Armour).

We are questioning this.

Would treatment with iodine (Lugol's solution) be helpful instead of the hormone?

Thank you for your help in this.

Hello Jean Obisan!
Warm welcome to you!
We can interpret it in two ways. It could be a false positive due to lab errors. To rule it out she can get the thyroid tested again. Another interpretation is your friend is probably suffering from 'Subclinical Hypothyroidism'. If its true then your doctor is right in advising her to start with the treatment. But to confirm subclinical hypothyroidism let your friend get tested for antithyroid antibodies. If thats positive then its the right choice to start treatment keeping in mind the future benefits of treatment. Also her doctor needs to take her family history for thyroid conditions before concluding. I dont think Lugol's iodine would be helpful. Its only helpful when thyroid hormone levels go down due to lack of iodine in diet. So I hope poor diet is not there in her case.

Hope I cleared your doubt.

Take care. Have a great day. Bye.  

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni

Dont hesitate to ask your health related queries. 24 X 7 ready to provide solutions to your health concerns. All questions are welcome ! Speciallly Endocrinology.

Working as a Doctor in Primary Health care Centre.

KIMS, Bangalore

MBBS, Intership in Internal Medicine