Thyroid Problems/Low Thyroid and weak adrenals

Dear  Dr. Kulkarni,
I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism after 2 visits to the ER within 6 weeks. My symptoms included heart palpitations, memory loss, severe weakness, tingling of head face, arms, numbness and tingling of hands, tremor of right arm, leg weakness and a sensation of imminent collapse. My BP was 122/ 78, pulse 74, Temp was 98.6, TSH was 33.9, no testing for T3 or T4. I was diagnosed with Adrenal Insufficiency in 2005 and since Feb 2012 I have been treated by an acupuncturist for weak adrenals. I visited an NP and she prescribed Levothyroxine and said that I would have to take this for life. I am very concerned about taking this medicine because I read that weak adrenals should be corrected prior to taking the medicine. I am concerned about having an adrenal crisis. After taking medicine for 3 days I still experience heart palpitations and last night I woke up in bed and I did not know who I was or where I was. It was scary. Please advise me what to do.

Hello Denise!
Warm welcome to you!
I think its wrong to diagnose you as hypothyroid just by TSH values. Without getting T3 and T4 levels tested, we can not conclude that you have hypothyroidism. And in hypothyroidism we dont see palpitations. From which country are you? My first wild guess is it could be 'Pseudohypoparathyroidism'.

My advice is first get complete thyroid profile tested.

Send me the following:
Age, weight, are you taking any other drugs/medications?

Thanking you,

Take care. Have a great day. Bye.

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni

Dont hesitate to ask your health related queries. 24 X 7 ready to provide solutions to your health concerns. All questions are welcome ! Speciallly Endocrinology.

Working as a Doctor in Primary Health care Centre.

KIMS, Bangalore

MBBS, Intership in Internal Medicine