Thyroid Problems/Hyperthyroidism

Question
QUESTION: hello doctor...I went last week to my regular doctor and requested thyroid antibody test being I have a family history of Graves' disease I always like to check. Usually I have a test called tsi done but this time it was thyroud antibody panel...when I asked the nurse she said that this test was included in the panel . Is this true... And if not would the thyroid antibody panel test be enough to diagnose Graves' disease? Thank you :)

ANSWER: Hello Linda yorio!
Warm welcome to you!
For diagnosing thyroid antibody panel is very important. If patient is positive for Graves' Disease he will have positive result for one or more of the followng:

Antithyroglobulin antibodies
Antithyroid antibodies
Antithyroid microsomal antibodies
Anti-thyroid peroxidase (TPO) antibody
Anti-Thyroid receptor Antibody
Anti-TSH receptor (TR/TRab/TBII/LATS)antibody (Very significant)
TGI (Thyroid Growth Stimulating IgG)
TSab (Thyroid Stimulating Antibody)

This test is highly specific and a trusted to diagnose Grave's. According to new WHO guidelines for making a diagnosis of Grave's Patient have to be positive for Thyroid Antibodies.

Thanking you!

***Dear AllExperts user, If you are satisfied with my service, please take your time to donate a little money for providing medical facilities and education to poor.You can donate as less as 5$ - 10$. Your little donation can save lives!! Please donate only if you are satisfied with the service and willing to help poor. I dont want to force you! Thanking you!
Account Details: SHRINIDHI LAXMAN KULKARNI A/C No. 04152010144683 IFSC CODE:SYNB0000415 BRANCH DETAILS:BANGALORE N R COLONY, No.1 FIRST MAIN ROAD, N R COLONY, BANGALORE 560019 ***

QUESTION: Thank you for your quick reply... Are these the tests that are included in the thyroid antibody panel test?

Answer
Hello!

Yes they are included in thyroid antibody panel. But in many labs they include only the significant ones which have highest diagnostic value. So that it will reduce the financial burden on patients. But if its positive for one also, that is enough for diagnosis.

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni