Thyroid Problems/What do you think? Hypo?

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

I am a 26 year old male and I would consider myself to be in pretty good shape but lately I have been experiencing some symptoms associated with hypothyroid but I am not really sure. A couple of months ago I had my doctor run a thyroid test due to my fatigue and low heart rate but he said the results came back normal. I get worried when my heart rate drops so slow, it is usually between 45-50bpm but my doctor doesn't seem concern. My blood pressure and blood sugar are good and I have had several heart tests but I'm just lost at this point. Below are a list of my symptoms:

-occasional fatigue
-low heart rate
-sometimes my body and hands feel real cold
-My usual basal temperature is 97.6
-Mental fog or trouble concentrating sometimes
-The most time gone without bowel movement is one day

Do I need to experience all the symptoms associated with hypothyroid to have an underactive thyroid? I haven't noticed any weight gain, although I exercise 5 days a week and no hair falling out but it does feel thicker. Should I get a second opinion on my thyroid test or do you think I'm just overthinking this? Thank you for your time!

ANSWER: Hello Frankie!
Warm welcome to you!
Please send your height, weight and nutritional status. It may be hypothyroidism. And its not necessary for a patient to exhibit all the symptoms of hypothyroidism if he has 'Subacute Hypothyroidism'. So it would be great if you send the previous thyroid test reports. Then I can tell you whether you will need retesting. Are you on any other medications? Do you have drinking and smoking habits?

Thanking you!

***Dear AllExperts user, If you are satisfied with my service, please take your time to donate a little money for providing medical facilities and education to poor.You can donate as less as 5$ - 10$. Your little donation can save lives!! Please donate only if you are satisfied with the service and willing to help poor. I dont want to force you! Thanking you!
Account Details: SHRINIDHI LAXMAN KULKARNI A/C No. 04152010144683 IFSC CODE:SYNB0000415 BRANCH DETAILS:BANGALORE N R COLONY, No.1 FIRST MAIN ROAD, N R COLONY, BANGALORE 560019 ***

QUESTION: I'm 5'6" and weigh approx 172lbs. I don't smoke and i drink occasionally. I eat pretty healthy for the most part. My typical diet includes kashi cereal in the morning, coffee, protein bars or granola bars in the early afternoon. Lunch is typically
a sandwich (pb&j or ham and cheese) with chips. Late afternoon snack is a granola bar and dinner is whatever my wife makes. I drink a lot of water throughout the day. I don't have my recent thyroid results, doctor just told me that they were normal but I still exhibit symptoms. Can being lightheaded also be associated with hypothyroid?

Answer
Hello frankie,
Nice to hear from you!
TSH is normal. The value of T4 seems concerning. Is it T4 or FT4 value? If it is FT4 value then it is normal. But if it is T4(or Total T4) value then it is below the normal range. Also your BMI(Body mass Index) shows you are overweight. In that case we can suspect you having underactive thyroid. It may be Hashimoto's Thyroiditis or Subclinical Hypothyroidism. Anyway I strongly recommend you to get your thyroid antibodies tested. This test is very necessary for diagnosis. Lightheadedness is not due to thyroid issue. I think you need thorough lab investigations like CBC. Also heart rate is low in athletes and people who do regular exercise. So if you were a sportsman or athlete previously then it is normal.

So I recommend you revisiting your doctor for further examination and investigation.

Thanking you!

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni