Thyroid Problems/Thyroid desease

Question
Dear Dr Kulkarni
Iím 73 years old and last month I had a few incidents of premature ventricular contractions. After a thorough investigation my cardiologist found nothing abnormal with my heart and suggested some test that could evaluate my thyroid function in order to rule out thyroid disease. Apart from that, a routine cbc that I had showed a slight increase of white blood cells (White blood cells: 11100, Neutrophils: 33.9%, Lymphocytes: 53%). Another cbc that followed a month later came out pretty much the same. I'm now going to have those blood tests on my thyroid that the cardilogist suggested.
Could these symptoms and results be attributed to thyroid disease or should I check something further?

Answer
Hello Mark!
Warm welcome to you!
Since your cardio-vascular system examination showed your heart is absolutely normal, the premature ventricular contractions seen may be because of following reasons.

As your doctor has rightly suggested you, people with hyperthyroidism can some times exhibit PVCs. Also some times physiologically its seen in obese people when they hyperventilate. Anxiety, stress, smoking, drinking,lack of sleep and certain drugs can produce PVCs. So I recommend you to undergo thyroid testing to rule out the problem. Also if you can, please get serum electrolytes tested.

And hyperthyroidism can result in reduced neutrophiles and elevated lymphocytes. Its typically seen in viral infections and chronic conditions. If you share any other symptoms it will be helpful in diagnosis.

Thanking you!

***Dear AllExperts user, If you are satisfied with my service, please take your time to donate a little money for providing medical facilities and education to poor. Please donate only if you are satisfied with the service and willing to help poor. I dont want to force you! Thanking you!
Account Details: SHRINIDHI LAXMAN KULKARNI A/C No. 04152010144683 IFSC CODE:SYNB0000415 BRANCH DETAILS:BANGALORE N R COLONY, No.1 FIRST MAIN ROAD, N R COLONY, BANGALORE 560019 ***

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni