Thyroid Problems/Thyroid Ultrasound Results

Question
I have been on Synthroid for about 5 yrs and recently had a Thyroid Ultrasound
The results are:
R lobe:  5.5 x 2.3 x 1.7 cm and is heterogeneous in echogenicity and coarse in echotexture.
L lobe: 4.8 x 2.0 x 1.9 cm and is heterogeneous in echogenicity and coarsened in echotexture.
No discrete nodules in either lobe
Isthmus is 3 mm
Impression:  Heterogeneous bilateral thyroid lobes likely chronic Hashimoto's disease

What does this all mean?  Is my thyroid enlarged?

Answer
Kelly,
Your Thyroid ultrasound is normal. Size is normal, and no sign of thyromegaly/goitre. But Since the echo is heterogenous and coarse, i recommend testing it agian next year. Heterogenous means the parenchyma(inside of gland) produces echo patterns which are not uniform in all the parts of the gland. So this can happen due to auto immune distruction of gland i.e. Hashimoto's thyroiditis. But right now since no calcification or nodule or change in internal blood suppy is seen, you dont have to worry about it.

Thanking you!

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni