Thyroid Problems/possible Hyperparathyroidism

Hello, I am a 59yr old female. My last two blood chemistry test (6 months apart)have shown my serum calcium at 10.3 and I am rather concerned, previously it was 9.9 so heading up there. My TSH was high but is now normal as is my T3 and T4. Is it a good idea to have a PTH test and if so what levels should I be looking at. I have Gerd and sleep problems also dry skin and very thin hair, my nails are also getting rather brittle. My cholesterol is also on the high side but I am a vegetarian who is very aware of what I eat, high fiber, low fat, fresh fruit and veg etc. Would you advise a visit to an endocrinologist. Thank you in advance

Hello Wendy,
Warm welcome to you!
Serum calcium level of 10.3 is not a matter of concern. Serum calcium can be between 9-11 mg/dl. But whats the reference range given in the report? If it has crossed the reference range, then it is recommended to get the Parathyroid gland tested. Also have you tested your antithyroid antibody levels(though your TSH is normal now)? Often it is seen that subclinical hypothyroid patients and hashimotos patients are associated with parathyroid gland abnormalities. If its not an economical burden for you then you can definitely test PTH. Otherwise you can wait for 3 months. Its not absolutely urgent. Anyway if you test the PTH and antithyroid antibodies then pls mail me the results. I will guide you when you need to visit an endocrinologist.

Thanking you!

***Dear AllExperts user, If you are satisfied with my service, please take your time to donate a little money for providing medical facilities and education to poor.You can donate as less as 1$ - 10$. Your little donation can save lives!! Please donate only if you are satisfied with the service and willing to help poor. I dont want to force you! Thanking you!
Go to my profile page and click Donate***

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni

Dont hesitate to ask your health related queries. 24 X 7 ready to provide solutions to your health concerns. All questions are welcome ! Speciallly Endocrinology.

Working as a Doctor in Primary Health care Centre.

KIMS, Bangalore

MBBS, Intership in Internal Medicine