Thyroid Problems/TSH 24

Question
QUESTION: I am a 63 year old female. I have been on Synthroid 50mg for 11 years. During this time my my TSH has always been within range. This year during my annual physical my TSH came back 24. My doctor lowered my synthroid to 25mg and sent me for a free T4 blood test. I have lost about 9 lbs over the last 2 years, I am 5' 100 lbs. Should I be concerned about a TSH 0.24? Last year it was 0.71 the year before 0.41. so it does fluctuate.

Thanking you in advance,
Virginia

ANSWER: Virginia,
There is no need to be concerned. As age progresses the metabolism in body decreases. Also many cells die. So you would not be requiring as much Synthroid as you did before. Its logical to decrease the dose. But my recommendation is you repeat the tests after 3rd and 6th month so that if there is some underlying pathology causing your TSH to drop below the range, then your doctor would be able to take immediate measures.

Thanking you!

QUESTION: Thank you for your quick response. I do have another question, I use to be cold all the time but since I have been on the lower dose, I find I am not and I am sweating often from being hot. Is this normal? Should I be concerned and call the doctor?

Answer
Virginia,
In my opinion its better to inform your doctor. You seem to be migrating from being hypothyroid to hyperthyroid. It could be even hashimotos thyroiditis. Its typical sign of hashimotos to swing between hypo and hyper thyroid states. So as I told before please test thyroid profile agian after 3rd and 6th month.

Thanking you!

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni