Thyroid Problems/TSH Fluctuations

QUESTION: Hello, I was wondering if you could help me to interpret the results of some blood work and possibility of changes.  I am a 25 year old female and there is one person in my family who had a history of hypothyroidism. (If that information helps.)

In 2012, my TSH Level was 4.580.
In 2013, my TSH Level was 4.620.
In 2014, my TSH Level was 2.710.

In 2012 and 2013, I was thinner (in my opinion), and in 2014 I seem to be gaining weight much easier than I used to.  I also found out that I have high triglycerides and high cholesterol as well.  I am not an overweight person, so I was extremely shocked to find out these details, but this was also the first year that I had my lipid panel checked.  However, I feel more sluggish than the previous years and less healthy than I felt in the past.  I don't understand how the level of TSH could fluctuate to that degree in a short amount of time.  Have you seen this occur in the past, or do you have some advice as to how this occurred?

ANSWER: Brenda,
What are your T3 and T4 hormone levels? I think T3, T4  are very important here. If they are low then its advisable to check other pitutary hormones also. So to guide you further I need atleast T3 & T4 values. So that I can tell whether thyroid is abnormal or pitutary.

Thanking you!

I looked at the blood work, but I do not see anything listed T3.  Would it say T3 just as it says T4? If so, the T3 level was not checked.

In 2012, my T4 level was 1.03
In 2013, my T4 level was .84
Unfortunately, when I looked at the blood work report, it said nothing for 2014 for T4.

I believe what you have sent is FT4 value and not T4. If it is T4 value then it is very low. If it is FT4(free T4) then its in normal range. Even then I see a progressive decline in both TSH and FT4 levels. So My suggestion is to get examined for pitutary hypofunction. Also test thyroid profile again at 3rd and 6th month from now.

Yes there is a T3 test just like T4 and its a part of thyroid profile tests. T4 is converted to T3, which is the active molecule and is responsible for all the functions of thyroid hormone in our body.

Thanking you!

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni

Dont hesitate to ask your health related queries. 24 X 7 ready to provide solutions to your health concerns. All questions are welcome ! Speciallly Endocrinology.

Working as a Doctor in Primary Health care Centre.

KIMS, Bangalore

MBBS, Intership in Internal Medicine