Thyroid Problems/Dessicated porcine thyroid

Question
I am 56. I have always suffered from a slow metabolism, inability to lose weight, and poor digestive function. My doctor says according to the tests my thyroid numbers are fairly normal, and he is hesitant to subscribe medication.
I stopped eating gluten a few weeks ago, and that did help with digestion, and last week I began using dessicated porcine thyroid.
Here is the link:
http://www.nutri-meds.com/Nutri_Meds_Desiccated_Porcine_Thyroid_Capsules_p/nm-g-

I am feeling much better now. I am warm instead of being cold all the time, I am actually losing a little weight (combined with exercise and lower calories), I don't feel bloated, and my digestion and bowel movements are better.

My question is, do you think I am sub-clinical hypothyroid and the dessicated thyroid got me closer to normal?

I am hesitant to self medicate, but if I continue to improve, should I ask my doctor to put me on prescription dessicated thyroid, as my health plan covers it?

Thanks so much.

Answer
Bud,
Can you send me the thyroid profile reports? Next time when you visit your doctor please ask him to test antithyroid antibodies. If they are positive then you could be considered subclinical hypothyroid.

As a doctor I dont recommend you to take porcine thyroid capsules, without proper diagnosis.

So first ask your doctor for the above said test. If it comes positive then ask him to put you on low dose thyroxine/porcine thyroid capsules.

Thanking you!

***Dear AllExperts user, If you are satisfied with my service, please take your time to donate a little money for providing medical facilities and education to poor.You can donate as less as 1$ - 10$. Your little donation can save lives!! Please donate only if you are satisfied with the service and willing to help poor. I dont want to force you! Thanking you!
Go to my profile page and click Donate(via Paypal only)***

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni