Thyroid Problems/thyroid medicine

Question
QUESTION: I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I am currently on NP thyroid 90 mg daily, 6 days a week. This was lowered to 6 days after my blood test showed that my T4 was slightly elevated and my antibodies were 1056 instead of 0-50.  My question is this, I still feel tired and am still losing hair, is there a better choice in medication? My doctor is an internist and willing to let me try new things. I went from the generic levothyroxine to this because I had read it was a better medicine. I'm thinking I should go back, but not sure.
Thank you.

ANSWER: Everyone is different, and has different needs when it comes to the thyroid. If you didn't have the current issues you are having now with the Levothyroxine then it's possible your body handles that better, or your dose isn't right with the NP thyroid.

That being said, there are many ways to address the auto immune aspect of this issue, as the medication does nothing to do that. Look into paleo for autoimmune dieting as it can cut the antibodies down, and possible reverse the issue. If your body stops attacking itself, then things can function normally. I was able to bring a patient from 900 antibodies down to 700's with diet modification alone, to me it's worth it if it helps with the symptoms. There are also a lot of co-factors for thyroid hormone production that need to be addressed such as selenium, zinc and also Iodine. There is good research out there showing that Iodine is safe in hashimoto's and I have almost every single one of my thyroid patients on a higher dose with good results. If they haven't checked your vitamin D levels, I also encourage this as well. Vitamin D is a hormone in your body and crucial for thyroid function, optimal levels around 60-80 but the lab will tell you 30-100.

Everyone is different and thyroid issues are tricky to nail down. Keep working with your internist on things and please consider cutting out the highly inflammatory foods that affect thyroid function such as Gluten, Dairy and Soy. Cutting these out and seeing how you feel is cheaper than getting food allergy testing done, but that also might be something to consider as eating allergenic foods will make the auto immune issues worse/ could be why they started.

Hopefully this answers your question plus gives you some other things to consider.

Dr. Kalli Prater, D.C.
www.relaxattranquility.com

QUESTION: I have been on a mostly fruit and vegetable diet for the past 2 months. I am still losing hair, not quite as much as before. Not sure of my vitamin D or iodine. Do the labs check these? I may be down in  iodine as we do not add any salt to our diet do to heart issues. But, I haven't totally cut out breads, switched to whole wheats instead. One or two slices daily. Should I start taking a daily vitamin pill? Not sure what ones are good since these are not regulated. Thanks again for the help.

Answer
The labs can check D levels, and look into iodine testing. All supplements are regulated by the FDA but if you find a good natural medicine practitioner they will be able to sell you pharmacutical grade supplements that you can trust. Whole grains are the worst form- because bread isn't in a whole grain form period-it's a highly processed product, wheat is the worst and shuts down thyroid function.  

Thyroid Problems

Dr. Kalli Prater