Thyroid Problems/Irregular Periods

QUESTION: Dr Kulkarni, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I am an 18 year old female. Period started at 14, and lasts for 6-7 days, light/medium bleeding. Periods used to be pretty regular (never late), although in last year, my periods are always late by 5-10 days. Increased pain also (not really cramping).

Does this change usually indicate any sort of problem? Does it require a visit to my internist? What sort of tests would rule out possible problems?

Also, could hypothyroidism cause this?

Thank you!

May i know your height and weight? What is the normal duration(days) of your menstrual cycle? Are you a student? What is your typical day like? stressful(physical/mental)? Your prolonged periods of 6-7 days are suggestive of underlying problem. It could be even hypothyroidism also. I would recommend you to meet your Primary health professional. Actually before suggesting you any test, an elaborate history would be more helpful in diagnosis. You may need thyroid profile, FSH, LH levels, Other hormone levels like prolactin, testosterone(if required), CBC, iron profile etc. If nothing is revealed then your doctor may suggest sonography etc. But thats too early to think about it right now. I think your problem may be diagnosed by good history, physical examination, counselling and basic hormone n blood tests.

Keep me updated...

Thanking you!

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply!

- My height is 175cm, and my weight is 70kg. I have not gained or lost weight recently.
- I think that my period has always been 6-7 days. However, my flow is medium-light on the first and second day, and then very light for the next 4-5 days. After the first day the blood is also brown/dark. Does blood color suggest anything?
- Sometimes my period is only a few days late, sometimes it is a week late.
- I am a part time student, however, my days are not mentally or physically stressful :)

I have had three blood tests over the past 1-3 years for my thyroid. On the second blood test I had subclinical hypothyroidism (TSH indicated), however my most recent blood test was fine.

Thanks again!

Blood color isnt much of help. Its normal that it becomes dark n brown after first day because it may contain small clots. Cycle length variation upto a week is acceptable. How you were diagnosed of subclinical hypothyroidism without antibodies test? Just TSH levels isnt enough to conclude you are normal. My suggestion is first perform antithyroid antibodies test. If its elevated its confirmation of subclinical hypo. Then ask your doc to put you on thyroxine and adjust TSH between 2-3.

Keep me updated!

Thanking you!

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni

Dont hesitate to ask your health related queries. 24 X 7 ready to provide solutions to your health concerns. All questions are welcome ! Speciallly Endocrinology.

Working as a Doctor in Primary Health care Centre.

KIMS, Bangalore

MBBS, Intership in Internal Medicine