Thyroid Problems/one more question - sorry

Question
QUESTION: If soy could cause the subclinical hypothyroidism, could stopping soy mean she could go off the thyroxine?  How would we know?  THANK YOU

ANSWER: Lauren,
Yes stopping soy and other goitorgenic foods competely, could cure subclinical hypothyroidism permanently(if its caused by goitorgens). And then she can stop thyroxine medicine. You can recognise it by TSH value. After stopping goitrogenic foods, your TSH value comes gradullay into normal range. And symptoms of Subclinical hypothyroidsm will also show improvement. So monitoring TSH regularly is key here.

Thanking you!

***Dear AllExperts user, If you are satisfied with my service, please take your time to donate a little money for providing medical facilities and education to poor.You can donate as less as 1$ - 10$. Your little donation can save lives!! Please donate only if you are satisfied with the service and willing to help poor. I dont want to force you! Thanking you!
Go to my profile page and click Donate(via Paypal only)***

QUESTION: But she is on thyroxine - so how would we know if it's the med or the soy.
THANK YOU ... I'll stop asking now!

Answer
Lauren,
Doctors can recognise it. TSH reduction will be more prominent and sharp if it was due to goitrogen. Dose dependent reduction of TSH will be more than normal. Also monitoring her pulse, bp etc will make it more clear. After stopping goitorgen and taking thyroxine, If she starts going towards hyperthyroid, then we will understand that it was due to goitrogens only. Then we will gradually withdraw thyroxine.

Thanking you!

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni