Thyroid Problems/thyroid

Question
QUESTION: Sorry, I already thought of one more question:

Is it possible when her extreme vit d deficiency is remedied, and her cholesterol is normal, she could go off the hypothyroid med.?  I know the recent thinking is not to give meds for subclinical hypothyroidism unless there is high cholesterol.  I just wonder what causes what.  Would the thyroid med pushing the 5.7 tsh score very low mean she doesn't need they thyroid med any more?  THANK YOU!!!

ANSWER: Lauren,
First of all according to guidelines this is not the right time to initiate thyroxine treatment. But definitely she can take medicine for cholesterol and vit d supplements. (Sorry I checked your previous mails now, cholesterol is 268. Its pretty high). If TSH crosses 10 then only treatment should be started. And thyroxine therapy is lifelong. Even if vit D and cholesterol levels come back to normal, it should not be withdrawn. Because the cholesterol levels will rise again! But right now for the sake that symptoms are present thyroxine treament can be started. But you need to monitor its effect on heart and other systems regularly.

Thanking you!

***Dear AllExperts user, If you are satisfied with my service, please take your time to donate a little money for providing medical facilities and education to poor.You can donate as less as 1$ - 10$. Your little donation can save lives!! Please donate only if you are satisfied with the service and willing to help poor. I dont want to force you! Thanking you!
Go to my profile page and click Donate(via Paypal only)***

QUESTION: Oh, .
YOu are amazingly helpful.
The dr is giving her a blood test in a month.
So, you are saying that even if the cholesterol comes down, she should not go off the thyroxine?  Should she go off the cholesterol med once the thyroxine kicks in?
Seems like the subclinical hypothy. could be temporary????

ANSWER: Lauren,
Yes she shouldnt stop thyroxine. Yes after cholesterol level comes down and she  is taking thyroxine regularly, she can stop cholesterol medicines. No its 100% subclinical hypothyrodism only but, the need for initiating therapy is debatable. If her symptoms are interfering too much in her daily life, a closely monitored therapy can be started. Subclinical hypothyrodism is temporary only if caused by some drugs(like radio active iodine, antithyroid medication), tension, iodine deficiency.

Thanking you!

QUESTION: Lastly, with no antibodies, can Hashimotos be the cause the hypothyroidism?  She eats a lot of soy and exercises a lot - can that be the cause?
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much

Answer
Lauren,
You are always welocome!
Since antibodies are negative, then there is no chance of hashimotos. Hashimotos is ruled out. Exercise is good for her. Let her continue it. But Definitely soy could be a cause. Because it is a goitrogen. It interferes in iodine absorption and metabolism by thyroid gland. Better to stop soy and other goitrogenic foods.

Thanking you!

Thyroid Problems

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni