Thyroid Problems/Thyroid ultrasound results

I recently had an ultrasound of my thyroid as it seemed like it was larger than normal to me. All my thyroid blood work has always come back normal. I received the results today but don't know how to interpret them. Please help? This is what the readout says ....

"Ultrasound of thyroid indicates it is bilobed with a thin isthmus of about 2.6 mm span.

The right lobe measures 5.6 x 2.27 x 1.89 cm span and the left thyroid gland measures 5.45 x 1.98 x 1.57 cm span. The right lobe indicates a poorly marginated hypoechoic nodule distally. No cystic lesions are seen on the right. The left gland indicates several small hypoechoic areas as well.

Impression: consistent with goiter. Multiple nodules and universally enlarged thyroid noted. The left gland indicated a 1.16 x 1.38 x 0.6 cm cyst medically near the left limb of the isthmus. Color Doppler study indicates no hypervascularity here."

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

It's hard to tell you what's going on without seeing you and also seeing exactly what labs have been run. Many people come into my office with a "normal thyroid" as reported by their previous doctor(s). Many of these times I find out that the doctor only checked TSH levels, which is not a good enough job.

Unless your doctor has run a full thyroid panel including TSH, Free T3, Free T4, TPO antibodies and Thyroglobulin antibodies your thyroid hasn't gotten a total look. Even this is not the full gambit of labs that could be run, but it is typically enough to tell if something is really wrong there.

It is also important to know many doctors use the clinical lab ranges, which are calculated from the average of what has been run through that lab for that test in the last year or so. Clinical ranges can change every year, and for a thyroid are not a True picture of what is Functionally happening with your body. I use functional ranges which are a much more narrow set of numbers within those clinical ranges to get a better feel for what your body is doing. I encourage you to seek out an endocrinologist ( if your GP is the one looking into your thyroid so much- an ultrasound was run for SOME reason) or find a functional medicine specialist who knows how to interpret your results better.

I encourage you to also look into the following website which lays out why you should be getting full testing done, and also looking into adrenal support as well as B12 for your thyroid symptoms (I'm assuming you have them "despite normal labs" to warrant an ultrasound at this point).

Many people experience being told their thyroid is "normal" yet they still have symptoms, and it is typically because they are not using functional ranges, not looking at the thyroid metabolism through further lab testing, or are not testing for Hashimoto's which is the leading cause of hypothyroidism and can go undetected for a decade before the TSH will be off.

Hopefully this helps, and I'm sorry I can't give you more information. No cysts were found in the thyroid which is a great thing, but Goiter is an enlargement... something isn't jiving there and needs further attention, and I hope you find the proper practitioner to help you through your issues.

Dr. Kalli Prater, DC

Thyroid Problems

Dr. Kalli Prater

Questions pertaining to the holistic treatment of thyroid disorders including nutrition and supplementation for Hashimoto's, hypo and hyper thyroidism. Questions relating to Lab tests and proper lab testing for thyroid conditions as well.

As a functional medicine focused practitioner the majority of my practice has focused around Thyroid conditions. I help people to switch to less toxic medications through educating their prescribing physician, support thyroid function with diet/nutrition and natural supplementation as well as educate the patient on support for other systems effected by Thyroid disorders.

American Chiropractic Association

Bachelor of Science from Central Michigan University in Sports Medicine Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine from the National University of Health Sciences 100 Hour Acupuncture Certificate

Best of the Fox Women's Health Center 2015

Many patients come in to me having been on medications for years still feeling horrible from their condition but told they are "fine" based on lab testing. Other's come to me after having had their "thyroid checked many times over the years and it's normal" to find that many doctors are not properly running lab tests to determine if people have an auto immune attack to their thyroid or looking at more than just TSH levels which checks your pituitary function.