Thyroid Problems/Thyroid tests

Hello. Has thyroid levels check as part of normal lab work. I'm a 41 year old female. Average weight and healthy, overall.  I have insomnia, fatigue and anxiety.  What would your recommendations be for the following levels:  free ft4 is 1.28, Tsh is 2.1; t3 free is 3.3; vitamin d is 29; ferritin is 39. Thank you!

Vitamin D should be between 60-80 for optimal health. Taking a good 5,000 IU D3 for a while would be warranted.

As for the thyroid: TSH should be 1.3-2.0 so your value is pretty good.
Free T3 should be between 3-4
Free T4 should be 1-2

The things they didn't look at would be the thyroid antibodies TPO and Thyroglobulin, otherwise you have good thyroid numbers

Ferritin should be between 50-100, there is probably some iron deficiency going on or B12/Folic Acid deficiency which I find more commonly.

That being said...

Your adrenals are more likely the culprit here. Your adrenal glands take a beating with stress and lack of sleep. In face they help regulate your sleep cycles and if they are low functioning or burnt out they can be the cause of the fatigue, anxiety and insomnia. I recommend you find a good functional medicine practitioner in your area or a Naturopathic physician who understand the importance of restoring the function of these. A good B complex wouldn't hurt to add into your life until that time, but it's important to assess where your adrenals are at for further treatment.

I wish you the best, and hope this offered some help and understanding.

Dr. Kalli Prater, D.C.  

Thyroid Problems

Dr. Kalli Prater

Questions pertaining to the holistic treatment of thyroid disorders including nutrition and supplementation for Hashimoto's, hypo and hyper thyroidism. Questions relating to Lab tests and proper lab testing for thyroid conditions as well.

As a functional medicine focused practitioner the majority of my practice has focused around Thyroid conditions. I help people to switch to less toxic medications through educating their prescribing physician, support thyroid function with diet/nutrition and natural supplementation as well as educate the patient on support for other systems effected by Thyroid disorders.

American Chiropractic Association

Bachelor of Science from Central Michigan University in Sports Medicine Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine from the National University of Health Sciences 100 Hour Acupuncture Certificate

Best of the Fox Women's Health Center 2015

Many patients come in to me having been on medications for years still feeling horrible from their condition but told they are "fine" based on lab testing. Other's come to me after having had their "thyroid checked many times over the years and it's normal" to find that many doctors are not properly running lab tests to determine if people have an auto immune attack to their thyroid or looking at more than just TSH levels which checks your pituitary function.